Congestion - ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here we go again ... :D
[url=http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article1381522.ece]TOL [/url] said:
...Congestion in central London is almost as bad as it was before the daily charge was introduced four years ago, according to official figures.

Traffic delays have risen sharply in the past two years and will rise further next week when the zone doubles in size with a westwards extension into Kensington and Chelsea, Transport for London said.

The loss of most of the benefits of congestion charging is causing concern in other cities that have been considering whether to follow London's lead.

Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, is so concerned by the rise in delays that he is planning to bring forward the introduction of a £25 daily charge for vehicles with high emissions from 2010 to June or July 2008. Almost a fifth of vehicles (18 per cent) that currently pay the £8 charge will be liable for the new top rate, which applies to cars in band G for road tax...

I blame global shafting..
:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
What is needed here is a mass protest, if all the tradesmen such as pumbers & electricians and also delivery drivers refused to go into the charging zone then the capital would soon grind to halt when things go worng and can't get fixed. In reality though that sort of protest would never come about as there seems to be a lack of ability to co-ordinate anything like that.

At least mass protests are one thing that the French are good at.

Oh i dont know, i think we did pretty well in the petrol strikes! ;) :LOL:

The trouble with this issue is that not enough people are affected to warrant a mass strike. I couldnt care less what goes on in London. Not been there for years. Only go there when I have to.

stuartinlancashire said:
What is needed here is a mass protest, if all the tradesmen such as pumbers & electricians and also delivery drivers refused to go into the charging zone then the capital would soon grind to halt when things go worng and can't get fixed. In reality though that sort of protest would never come about as there seems to be a lack of ability to co-ordinate anything like that.
Don't take this too personally Stuart, but this might seem like a good solution when you're far away in Lancashire.

At least mass protests are one thing that the French are good at.
S'funny - I would have said that it ranks amongst the things that the French are worst at, wine, women and cheese being at the top end. ;)

Sponsored Links
ref.The Sun 15/02/07
Councils told : “ Jam up traffic “
Councils are being told to deliberately create traffic jams—then bring in road tolls to “ease” them.
The Department of Transport advice is revealed in this week’s Auto Car magazine.
It tells authorities to install more speed bumps, bus and cycle lanes, delay cars at traffic lights and give right of way to pedestrians.
Auto Car editor Hilton Holloway said: “Councils are being encouraged to bring in road tolls”
There are also fears the Government will break its promise that tolls will replace road tax and fuel duty – and not be an extra charge.
Sun Motoring Editor Ken Gibson said: “Proof of the Governments war against motorists is growing. If it wasn’t a cynical plan to screw more cash out of the motorist it could be seen as farcical”.
“What is a farce is the Government pretence it is part of a master plan to save the environment.

This is certainly the case in Manchester(the next proposed charge area). Has anyone else noticed this in their town/city ? :eek: :mad:

;)

What is a farce is that some people believe what's printed in The Sun.

masona said:
Softus said:
What is a farce is that some people believe what's printed in The Sun.
But page 3 is real isn't it ;)

er except when theyre silicone! :LOL:

still brighton council has managed to screw up what was a very easy to move around city 10-15 years ago and turned it into a giant gridlocked car park. All by introducing well thought out road improvement schemes. :rolleyes:

I don't want to sound like some preacher, but I think that these congestion charges are a good idea. We need to encourage more people to use other forms of transport.

I recently moved from rural west wales where there IS no alternative but private car (nearest bus stop 5 miles, bus once an hour) to oxford where I thinkthe public transport is amazing (bus stop 5mins walk, every 15mins) and we can even cycle the 6miles into town. But you still see every morning in the rush hour cars bumper to bumper with only one person in, holding up a bus of 50 people.

I realise some of those may come from somewhere that doesn't isn't on a bus route and I'm certainly not expecting everyone to ride a bike.

I just think that pedestrianising centres/making them bus only, congestion charges, more bus/ cycle lanes is a good way towards getting more people out of their cars (yes I do own one, I just try not to use it).

i can't remember Manchester having a congestion problem, it was mainly buses in and out and a wacking pedestrian area, but othere measures could be good.

We have to get out of our cars when possible and not essential to help keep our air kleen and our belt lines down for that matter.

Just my tuppence worth...cue the abuse?

Councils told : “ Jam up traffic “
Councils are being told to deliberately create traffic jams—then bring in road tolls to “ease” them.

No doubt in my mind that this is the case. We have waited 2 years for a new traffic scheme to ease congestion on the A386 westbound out of Plymouth and the traffic is far worse now that it is completed. I have sat and looked at the sequence of the traffic lights (sad I know) and they are set such that traffic coming from one part of the junction isn't stopped soon enough and actually blocks another part of the junction when the lights change ... End result ... Log jam ... Easily resolved if there was a will to do so!

Bus lanes are appearing everywhere causing even more jams ... I wouldn't mind if the buses ran frequently but these lanes sit idle for 80% of the time (in Plymouth anyhow) whilst everyone suffers in the chaos which remains.

This must be part of a bigger plan to force people out of cars and onto an inadequate public transport system.

Yet another thing this daft Government is getting drastically wrong. The general population will see through them at some point though ... I hope :LOL:

I'd agree with congestion charges or green charges or whatever else if the Government actually used the revenue they generate to resolve congestion or green issues and make our country a better place ... But they don't

I'm not really sure it matter to me where they spend any revenue raised, I think its main role is as a preventative type tax.

Sponsored Links
Back