Connect into existing soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone

I need to connect a new 40mm sink waste into this soil stack - due to the fall I need I need to do this in amongst the existing connections. I’d originally thought I could use a strap boss just above the existing joints - at about the 23” mark on the level. But because of the fall I need I need to join lower.

There is an old inlet on the right but this looks to have been filled with mortar or something a long time ago. Don’t much fancy drilling into this. There’s a bit of space on the main pipe under this too - is that enough for the strap boss?

At some point I’ll renew the whole stack - but don’t have the cash to do that right now and this new connection is kind of urgent…

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Keith

Attachments

• IMG_9604.jpeg
    IMG_9604.jpeg
    827.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9605.jpeg
    IMG_9605.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
You are dealing with a cast pipe and by far the easiest option is to drill out whatever the branch has been plugged with. Even if it is mortar it will not take long to remove it, just take care not to let it fall in so use a drill without hammer if you can and take it slow, preferably using a vac as you drill. Once you can get around the edge of it use an old flat driver to try free it in as big a piece as possible. You can then connect a new pipe in with a 40mm rubber insert.

Ok thanks for this. I’ll have a go with a drill, start of small and see what the material is like.

K

I'd be tempted to use an angle grinder and a cutting blade and cut that connection back in sections rather than try to drill out the plug, no matter how well it's tried, if the drill punches through the mortar, bits could end up down that soil pipe, worst case is a large piece drops in and blocks the stack and your stuffed.

Either that or leave well alone and cut in a boss access further up and use a McAlpine BossConn

1696070922299.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. I’m making some progress with drilling out so I’ll keep trying that. There is a drain just below the stack that might give me access should any lumps fall in. Taking it slow…

If it all goes wrong I can’t say I wasn’t warned.

K

Progress of a sort. I’ve cleared the mortar - expecting to break through into a clear pipe. But there’s some kind of blanking plate in there. Is that to be expected - and any suggestions how to deal with it. It feels pretty thin…

Attachments

• IMG_9606.jpeg
    IMG_9606.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 38
It's probably been fitted to ensure the filling didn't fall through into the stack, either that or the branch was never used but that doesn't seem likely, time to get the bimetal hole saw out. Ensure you know what adapter fitting you're going to use so the hole size is correct,

Ok thanks. I’d bought a 57mm cutter expecting to fit a mcalpine fitting - so that might work. Time to browse the Screwfix catalogue I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back