Connect PVR to ALL TV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a TV distribution system. (Wolsey WPS100/1)
The coax from the aerial comes to the box next to the main TV (which is connected to the power supply). The cable goes to the pvr 'ant in' then the out goes to the tv.

My pvr is also connected to the tv by hdmi cable.
Can I connect the pvr to the other TV's? so that all TV's can then watch what has been recorded.
I did this years ago with my vcr before digital tv.

Sponsored Links
Not without replacing the existing aerial/distribution amp or some significant rewiring.

A WPS100/1 is a power supply for an aerial- or distribution-amp. It isn't a distribution-amp in it's own right. This uses something called phantom power to get power to either a loft box or mast mounted aerial amp. Phantom power is where a cable that carries signal in one direction (e.g. amp to your TV) carries power in the opposite direction.

wps100.jpg

In order for your aerial signal distribution system to work the way you want with the gear you own, you'd have to have the aerial feed from the roof come down the outside of the house and in to the living room, then go in and out of the PVR, back up to the loft/roof, into the UHF input, and then be distributed by the amp.

If the signal is strong in your area and you simply have a loft box then this may be possible. But if your install uses an amp attached to the aerial mast then things become trickier. It may be that the aerial signal is a bit marginal so the amp is boosting it before distribution. If that's the case then there's a strong chance that it won't survive the journey to and from the living room before getting back to the amp.

Chris, Thanks for that I was hoping you or Sam, would reply.
I have a mast head.
For the odd time I want to watch pvr, its not worth the hassle. In a way I will be pleased as the tvs wear out so I can replace them all with 'smart tv'
Thanks Again
Steve

The only point I would add to Chris' comments is that, if your masthead was installed before analogue switchoff, it may not be needed now*. But the only way to find out is to remove it and connect the cable directly to the aerial. At some point you'll probably need to replace the outdoor cable anyway - it doesn't last forever.

*In fact it may never have been needed. Some installers have been known to install inferior cable or NOT replace existing old cable and then charge big bucks to fit an amplifier to compensate for signal losses that shouldn't be happening!

Sponsored Links
We had all the tv distribution system put in last year when we bought the property.
There was no tv aerial on the property when we purchased.

Out of interest, what type of coaxial cable was installed? Does it have aluminium or copper foil screening?

Out of interest, what type of coaxial cable was installed? Does it have aluminium or copper foil screening?
I don't know. I was very pleased with the job, very need & tidy.
I was saying where the cable could be routed & they did it much better.
A company called Waveney Aerials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back