Connect rising main to a different part of cold water system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am replacing our lead water main with a new MDPE pipe but getting the new pipe to the piston where the current stop cock is under the kitchen sink is very difficult without ripping up the kitchen floor. Would there be any problem with blocking up the current stop cock and connecting the new supply pipe to a different part of the system, for example in the bathroom, where it would be easier to run the new supply pipe to? We have a combi boiler and no water tanks so I would have thought it doesn't matter which part of the system I connect the stop cock to, but am I missing something? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Agree with @muggles, but not sure if you know, you need to disconnect lead main from branch underground without leaving any dead legs (short runs of pipe).

You need to make sure there are no stoptaps on the system which will have the flow through them reversed. They have loose jumpers and can jam shut. Had to sort a no water issue once and it took ages to work out what had happened.

Sponsored Links
Also check how your system is currently piped, is it all 15mm? If so no issue, if not and the current mains distribution pipework is 22mm then you may notice a difference in flow to certain areas.

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. I will bear that in mind about the dead legs and disconnect the whole pipe where the current stopcock is.

I don't think there are any other stoptaps but will try to check.

As far as I can tell its all 15mm plastic pipe. It looks like most of it was redone when the previous owners did an extension, just a shame they didn't get rid of the lead supply pipe at the same time!

Thanks a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back