Connecting 25mm SWA in CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Hager CU in the garage and I am taking a supply to another building further on down the yard. I have 25mm 3-core swa buried underground.

I am looking for suggestions as to a simple way of connecting the swa into the hager cu. Trying to bend the cores inside the cu for connection will be very awkward especially with other circuits in the way.

Sponsored Links
25mm sounds rather large, but if that's what's in place then that'swhat's in place. Rather than taking the SWA into the CU, take it to a suitable junction box near the CU, terminate the armour, then connect from the box to the CU using something more manageable.

PJ

Using 25mm due to distance and for driving motors, also for future development.

Sponsored Links
Is the CU you are feeding this from the main CU of the installation? if not how is it fed?

You'll struggle to get those cores in the breakers without bending/breaking something. Also, you may even find it impossible to feed into the neutral and earth bars without crimping 25mm pin crimps on, which you'll need an electrician to do unless you fancy shelling out a small fortune for the tools to do it yourself.

You're better off connecting into an external junction box as suggested and then using a smaller cable to wire into the CU. You won't get the SWA terminated in the CU if platic without distorting it anyway.

25mm into a cu?? What size mcb are you planing on putting on it,

Surly it's a better idea to split the supply with henleys and have a switch fuse?

Then a rcd cu at the other end?

One other important thing is the CU gets its supply from 16mm Swa which is terminated in a galvanised box and the cores connected directly into th CU which leaves less room.

What do you suggest for a junction box?

Could you join the swa to a smaller cable via henleys inside an IP rated plastic enclosure?

Why a switched fuse instead of an mcb my I ask?

Could you join the swa to a smaller cable via henleys inside an IP rated plastic enclosure?
A plastic box will not be rigid enough for 25mm SWA. Use a galvanised enclosure with 25mm knockouts.

So the switch will isolate all live conductors (yes Neutral is a live conductor)

One other important thing is the CU gets its supply from 16mm Swa which is terminated in a galvanised box and the cores connected directly into th CU which leaves less room.

What do you suggest for a junction box?

Are you sure you should be doing this work?

What leads you to think so?

Because I'm sure you shouldn't be, given the ignorance you are displaying here.

http://www.ukelectricalsupplies.com/Hager-Consumer-Unit-Incoming-Tail-Connector.htm

I used one of these, worked a treat.

That could well do the trick. Very interesting indeed. If I use that, then I won't need a junction box etc.

Cheers for that.

Are you sure you should be doing this work?

What leads you to think so?

Because I'm sure you shouldn't be, given the ignorance you are displaying here.

I was wondering when you would appear with your negativity. Bye and stay out of my thread when you can't offer help like these other good willing members.

I was wondering when you would appear with your negativity.
I'm not being negative, except in the sense that I genuinely, and for very sound reasons, have a negative view of your ability to competently and safely carry out the work you have decided, for no apparently sound reasons, to do.

Bye and stay out of my thread when you can't offer help like these other good willing members.
1) You do not have any ability to restrict who may respond to your questions.

2) Here is some very good help - the best by a long way so far in this thread:

Please get an electrician - you are insufficiently competent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back