Connecting 25mm SWA in CU

Just ordered a set of those Hager tails.

Will let you know if they do the job.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I think my preference would be to fit a 100amp switch fuse (plenty of room), or a 63amp switch fuse (if you want a little challenge). Wylex ones are the defacto in most wholesalers.

Feed this (via a pair of bushes and coupler perhaps) from your existing CU, using 10mm or 16mm singles (10mm ripped from some T+E or 16mm tails, sheath removed). This could be fed from a 63 or 50amp MCB. Swap the fuse in the switch fuse if required.

You say you are feeding a motor in an outbuilding. What kind of motor is it and what is it's rating? What is the distance to the shed.

Sponsored Links
Distance is about 90m running a single 3kw & 2 three phase motors via an inverter with the motors rated at 1kw each.

In the garage CU, what size/type of breaker is fitted?
Is it fed from a CU inside your house?

Do you have any RCD protection in the set up?

What equipment are you setting up in the out building?

At the meter I have a CU with an 80A 30mA with a 40A MCB. There is 16mm swa to the garage. The suppliers supply fuse/meter etc is in a seperate small building attached to the house with a feed going into the CU in the house and another to this CU beside the meter.

Run from meter to garage is around 20m at an estimate. This new outbuilding will act as a new work garage doing anything from using power lifts, welding, saws etc. Anything a man can think of if you know what I mean. Shed is 100ft long.

Are you sure that the supply to the property is capable of meeting the needs? You have an unknown amount for house and 40 for a good sized garage workshop (roughly 10kW ). Not much, or have I misunderstood your needs? Reason for asking is that you might be spending time and money now only to find it wasted as you upgrade. There are ways of making it a switchable house or workshop supply, but I'd suggest that a check with DNO on available supply might save some head scratching.

I should say, I have 2x100A Supply fuses installed at the meter.

Not everything will be going at once.

My question was about connecting 25mm swa so the details I stated at the start was enough but I get your point if it was about something else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back