Connecting a 'Fitting Reducer'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Been out to buy everything I think I need to do the plumbing in my DIY bathroom re-fit today - I will never again say plumbers are expensive after seeing the cost of the bag full of plastic and copper bits!

I'm fitting a new towel rail to existing 8mm microbore and have bought 15mm x 8mm fitting reducers to let me connect into some 15mm valves.

The 15mm end doesn't seem long enough to me - is it just a case of getting the olive seated in the middle of the 15mm end even though it doesn't push all the way into the valve or am I missing something?

Wondering if I should have just bought couplers and connected to a short length of 15mm pipe.

Sponsored Links
if you have brought the right thing you will have a 3 part set a base 15mm OD with a 8mm ID approx 10mm in length, a 8mm olive and then a disk 15x8mm of about 4mm length

fit the valve nut over the pipe,add the small disk, add the olive and finally the larger base which will stop at the end of the pipe with about 6mm of tube inside it, then put the valve over the top and tighten up the whole lot. once tight just give a tweek of a 8th turn to compress the olive. job done

It'll be fine if you use it like you suggested. Put the reducer in the 15mm rad valve connection, but pull it out slightly so that both sides of the olive compress on the 15mm part of the reducer.

Sponsored Links
It'd be easier with the 3-piece compression reducing set designed for the job.
efaaac1addb92dee7f65caa1e1c207ae.image.120x120.jpg

So long as you don't try assembling it as per that picture.

Cheers but aren't the fitting reducers I bought also designed for exactly the same job? If not what are they used for?

I've soldered them on to the micro bore today and seated the olives first and everything seems to be ok!

Cheers for the help guys.

Cheers but aren't the fitting reducers I bought also designed for exactly the same job?
No, they are designed for a SIMILAR job, reducing a SOLDER fitting.

They'll do the job, yes. Although, if you'd got a compression reducing set for the compression fitting you want to reduce all would have been fine and dandy, without needing to seek help.

Possibly. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back