Connecting American applience

tim west said:
You could use a very very long extension lead. Stick some floats on the bit that streches across the Atlantic. O f Course you would have to uprate the cable to allow for volt drop, now what size cable would you need?;)
Your post is very 'helpful' (at least if it would be funny), and as you are such an smart A** I am sure you can calculate the VD yourself...

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies. I think that the idea of a new D/W is the most practical one.

Albert said:
tim west said:
You could use a very very long extension lead. Stick some floats on the bit that streches across the Atlantic. O f Course you would have to uprate the cable to allow for volt drop, now what size cable would you need?;)
Your post is very 'helpful' (at least if it would be funny), and as you are such an smart A** I am sure you can calculate the VD yourself...
Chill out, can't take a joke?

Sponsored Links
tim west said:
Albert said:
tim west said:
Chill out, can't take a joke?
Sorry!
I was not in the mood. Jokes are very welcome if/when they are part of a useful post...
BTW I went to see the washer/dryer, it is 5000W unit, and the good news is that it is 220/240V 50Hz. It seems that the 13A switch that was installed to control the unit become a bit sweaty... :cry: I will change it tomorrow with a basic 45A cooker control...

Are you sure the appliance is pure 110V, a lot of american applicances are mostly 240V with just a few controls on 110V, if this is the case then you may be able to use a smallish autotransformer to create a center tap.

plugwash said:
Are you sure the appliance is pure 110V, a lot of american applicances are mostly 240V with just a few controls on 110V, if this is the case then you may be able to use a smallish autotransformer to create a center tap.
You are right it is 220V/240V.

can you get inside it and check if both the motor and the heater are 240V devices?

word of note / caution

some usa appliances are 220v, but they are still 60hz, and they use 2 x 120 legs for them to work.

a bit like site transformers use 2 x 55v legs to give 110

breezer said:
word of note / caution

some usa appliances are 220v, but they are still 60hz, and they use 2 x 120 legs for them to work.

a bit like site transformers use 2 x 55v legs to give 110
I looked at the machine today, the information on the machine was clearly written: 220V-240V, 50Hz. Do you think that it could be mis-leading and although it is marked as mentiond it can be 2 x 120V etc.

how many wires are there in the mains lead and what colors are they?

North american market Tumble driers are 240v they have a seperate supply to their houses & different shaped plugs .......

I know this because I was in Canada & bought somone a TD, then had to carry it up 10,000 flights of stairs cos the lifts were out ........ Anyways it just plugged right in (Funny plug in to funny socket) ...... Then I googled what it was all about, cos I'm nosey like that :D

Maybe Dishwashers are the same ........ Dunno :?:

John M said:
North american market Tumble driers are 240v they have a seperate supply to their houses & different shaped plugs .......
No the don't have a seperate supply, they have a supply with two live wires and a neutral with the live wires having opposite polarity so you get 240V between them. Many larger appliances run on 240V BUT they often contain 120V control electronics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back