Can I use and American light fixture in the uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I know this was asked before, but I found two different answers and just wanted to check. I found a ceiling pendant light from America that I would like to buy, but I'm not sure if it will work here in the UK. It says it is UL listed for american standards (what ever that means). It doesn't have any conrollers on it, and it doesn't have a plug it's wired to the mains. Can I use it here, and just get screw in bulbs or would the whole thing have to be rewired. I really can't find anything like it here.

here is a link to it if it helps.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/charles-bronze-chandelier/f40339

Thanks for any and all help.

Betsy

Sponsored Links
Do not plug into an electrical outlet higher than 110-120V as this could result in fire and/or injury.

There is every possibility you would be fine, but I would keep on looking

This got me thinking. The Yanks use 110V for domestic lighting, so does this mean that their wiring has thicker conductors (as, presumably, for a given wattage their current would be greater) and thinner insulation?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick, but I'm just an interested amateur!

For a given wattage - yes.

However, don't forget that our lighting usually has 6A cable for a quarter or half amp lamp.

Sponsored Links
Note: This item is UL-Listed and manufactured in compliance with U.S. standards. If you are purchasing this item for use outside of the U.S. or Canada, use only with the appropriate outlet adaptor and voltage converter for your country. Do not plug into an electrical outlet higher than 110-120V as this could result in fire and/or injury.

Plus you will struggle to get lamps for it, and conversion would require also replacing the lampholders, which may not fit.

And it looks horrible too! (I know - just my opinion.)

£328 for that?????

I'm sure BAS could have knocked you one up for £32.80! :LOL:

Yes I know what the website says about adaptors and voltage convertors, however it sound like that would be for something like a lamp that is plugged in with a conrol directly on the lamp. Not something directly wired to the mains controlled by a switch. Regular screw in bulbs (from Ikea) would fit the lamp holders, or so I've read on another site . Seems light fixtures from the continent work here, I believe they use a different voltage than the UK, could be wrong as I'm not an "expert".

Anyway, sounds to me like a bit of guessing on your parts , and nastiness. Some bitter kittens on this site. I'll check with a professional.

The answer depends on EXACTLY what type of lamp holder is fitted in the lamp and whether the lamp is 110 volt fed directly from the mains or is a extra low voltage lamp, ( 12 or 24 volt ) and fed via a transformer or other voltage reduction system.

Some American holders will take a european (230 volt) lamp without any problems and work safely. Some will not even though they look very similar.

The other concern is earthing. The American standards are not as stringent about earthing metal light fittings and I have seen imported US metal light fittings with no provision for earthing. ( an american told me that the risk of death from 110 volts is much lower than at 230 volts so earthing was " not so necessary " in the US )

When wiring it if there are white and black wires you need to know the BLACK wire is the LIVE wire. The live should be the one connected to the centre pin of the lamp holder and NOT to the threaded tube in the lamp holder.

The comments about price and style are not justified other that the price is very high for that style of lamp. There are rip off importers who make massive profits on the things they sell.

Anyway, sounds to me like a bit of guessing on your parts , and nastiness. Some bitter kittens on this site. I'll check with a professional.

I don't think we're being nasty or bitter. I know that I, and suspect that others, are just making humorous comments with no ill feeling.

If you like it, go ahead and buy it. Get an electrician to check it out. If the internal wiring isn't up to spec, perhaps it can be replaced. Also, it may be possible to attach an earthing point to the metal case. Where there's a will...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back