Connecting American applience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to visit a customer with a American dishwasher, I suspect that it is with the original American voltage standard.
Is there a way to connect to the 240 mains, and comply with the BS 7671?
I could be a simple solution, but as I never done it before i am not sure.

Sponsored Links
p1323601_l.jpg

JohnD! very kind advice but I'll keep it for another time....

What sort of current does the dishwasher draw? A tool tranny might be a bit on the small side is what I'm thinking.

Sponsored Links
JohnD was NOT being sarcastic, american stuff is usually 120v ac 60Hz

if it was made for the american market then thats where it belongs , in america, since anything you do may be wrong / dangerous.

Also there may be issues with trying to use a 50Hz supply to power an appliance designed for use on a 60Hz supply.

It will also be designed to run on 60 Hz. This can have unexpected consequences for motors. If the programmer is one of those good old fashioned ones with synchronous motors in it , all the programs will run 20% slow. An electronic programmer will function normally UNLESS it uses mains frequency for any reason, eg for a real time clock.

The drum motor will most likely be a commutator and brush type so there is no synchronous speed but the windings will have a lower impedance at 50 Hz. (The fact that it is being controlled by a triac doesn't change this.) A shunt connected motor will have higher torque but lower off-load speed. A series connected motor will run faster.

An induction motor will run 20% slower.

Edit: RF Lighting got in first!

Yes I know, they are normally 115V, with a special plug. I know that a transformer could do, but the idea of a tool trani in the kitchen is not something I could offer a customer... And as I said this is the first time i was asked to deal with this kind of a problem and I am trying to get some ideas from people who had to sort a problem like this in the past.
While I was writing this post there where already 4 new replies, so I had to modify my post; I know all about 115/120V and 60Hz etc. this is exactly the reason why I asked the question..

One important thing to note with tool transformers is they are not continuously rated at the tool rating. They normally have a continuous rating printed on them, sometimes referred to as a heater rating.
As for the price of a new dishwasher..........

You could use a very very long extension lead. Stick some floats on the bit that streches across the Atlantic. O f Course you would have to uprate the cable to allow for volt drop, now what size cable would you need?;)

The proper way to do this is to rectify the 50 Hz then use the DC to power a 60 Hz inverter. If you look around you can probably find something that does exactly this but it won't be cheap. In fact it's a good bet that it'll cost a lot more than a new DISHwasher.

truth is no one will know untill you get there and see what the rating plate actualy says

but if it is 120 tell them to buy a uk one, it will be cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back