Connecting an electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Hope you can help
Had new elecric cooker beco did the wiring only hobs and grill works .. Have two spurs one for stright connection and one for a plug .. And I have two switches one for hob one for oven .. Connected the cooker to the hob switch .. Can I connect both spurs to the cooker ?.. The stright connection and the one with the plug !.. And I'm using the right cable according to bs for the hob .. When connecting the oven can I use 3 wires cable ..thanks in advance for any comments .

Sponsored Links
Had new elecric cooker beco did the wiring only hobs and grill works
A cooker is a hob and oven in one case. Is that what you have?
If it is and only part of it works then it is faulty.

.. Have two spurs one for stright connection and one for a plug ..
Ok. I think.

And I have two switches one for hob one for oven
Right.

.. Connected the cooker to the hob switch .. Can I connect both spurs to the cooker ?.. The stright connection and the one with the plug
No.

!.. And I'm using the right cable according to bs for the hob .. When connecting the oven can I use 3 wires cable .
Now you're talking about an oven, which does not have hobs.

Need some clarification.

It would seem no, it would seem you don't have the skill. However I am sure it can be done by some one who does have the skill.

I am not trying to be funny or insult, the problem is from your description I can't work out exactly what you want to do. Basic rules are anything fixed over 2 kW should have a dedicated supply. There exceptions. There are also exceptions to the general rule for hobs and ovens, most hobs need a dedicated supply and can't use a 13A socket, more ovens can at a pinch use a 13A socket, but not all, there are some special hobs designed to run on 13A and some oven which need 16 amp or more.

Most houses have a dedicated cooker outlet rated 32A and in most cases this can be split to feed a hob and an over or a full cooker. But what you have asked can't really be answered with out more information.

Sponsored Links

Ok. I think.

Right.

No.

Need some clarification.
Thanks for taking time to reply
Yes I have a ceramic electric cooker all in one .. When I tested the electrics on the plugs when you switch the oven switch you will have power in the spur stright connection and when you switch the oven switch you will have power to the spur that have a plug connection .. It seems like both have separate connection but I'm confused if connecting both the plug spur and the stright connection will be ok .. I assume you think not .. Ivan send pictures if you like .. Thanks

Have you set the clock - many will not work until that is set.

If it still doesn't work, then complain to those that supplied and installed it.
Didn't set the timer but can I connect two cables to the cooker one coming from the stright connection and one coming from the spur with plug to the cooker .. Or it should work as a unit with only one connection

The cooker requires an electrical connection from one cable.
You do not need to alter the wiring or connect anything else.

If you set the clock as described in the instructions, it will almost certainly work.

If you set the clock as described in the instructions, it will almost certainly work.
Well what can I say you know your staff and I thank you I did set the timer and it is working now ...
thank you again

Yes I have a ceramic electric cooker all in one .. When I tested the electrics on the plugs when you switch the oven switch you will have power in the spur stright connection and when you switch the oven switch you will have power to the spur that have a plug connection .. It seems like both have separate connection but I'm confused if connecting both the plug spur and the stright connection will be ok .. I assume you think not .. Ivan send pictures if you like .. Thanks

Ok. I think.

Right.

No.

Need some clarification.
Thanks for your time I was advised to reset the timer by flameport and it's working now .. with only one connection many thanks for your help

It would seem no, it would seem you don't have the skill. However I am sure it can be done by some one who does have the skill.

I am not trying to be funny or insult, the problem is from your description I can't work out exactly what you want to do. Basic rules are anything fixed over 2 kW should have a dedicated supply. There exceptions. There are also exceptions to the general rule for hobs and ovens, most hobs need a dedicated supply and can't use a 13A socket, more ovens can at a pinch use a 13A socket, but not all, there are some special hobs designed to run on 13A and some oven which need 16 amp or more.

Most houses have a dedicated cooker outlet rated 32A and in most cases this can be split to feed a hob and an over or a full cooker. But what you have asked can't really be answered with out more information.
I would like to thank you for your advise I did set the timer as I was advised to do so.. now it's working .. it not wotha fuse it's a straight connection to the spur ..,

One more question the connection is not with the fuse plug like connecting a fridge it's stright is that ok according to bs .. thank you

Yes, the fuse is in the fusebox or consumer unit. The cooker is a high power item which does not need it's own smaller fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back