Connecting bathroom heated towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric towel rail in the bathroom (zone 2) but it needs connecting. There is an FCU outside the bathroom ready, directly behind where the towel rail is situated but the flex from the rail needs to run to the FCU. Is it permissable to run flex just through the wall or is a flex outlet plate needed? If the latter, is a back box needed as this will require chopping out a hole in the tiles to accommodate it unless I use a surface box.

If a plate is needed, can the flex run through the wall and fix a blanking plate over the hole without a back box?

Sponsored Links
You can do either. Personally it looks better if there is a cable outle plate on the wall. If its a blank plate with a centre hole you could just screw it to the wall using wallplugs.

Now......more important
This supply. Is it RCD protected? Has the RCD been tested?

The FCU will be spurred from the ring which is RCD protected - I have tested it by means of its button but I guess the guy who connects up will be able to do so if necessary.

I'm surprised the flex going through the wall withouth a plate is permitted , not for any particular reason, it just seems like the sort of thing they don't allow! I agree though that a plate will look better.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back