connecting cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am routing my cables into the walls and as i was about to finish i noticed that my twin earth cable wasn't long enough. I have a spare cable but the coatings are different. The ones on the house cble already are red and black but the cable i have stipped is brown and blue. I think they are the same cble but why ae they different colours. If one is old syle and they can connect can anyone tell me which colour goes with which. thanks.

Sponsored Links
i am routing my cables into the walls and as i was about to finish i noticed that my twin earth cable wasn't long enough. I have a spare cable but the coatings are different. The ones on the house cble already are red and black but the cable i have stipped is brown and blue. I think they are the same cble but why ae they different colours. If one is old syle and they can connect can anyone tell me which colour goes with which. thanks.
Oscar - could you explain why you think it's OK for you to do work on your electrics when you know so little that you don't even know what colours cable cores are?

And have you taken on board all the requirements regarding the location and RCD protection of concealed cables?

to be honest bob, if you have to ask then you shouldn't be doing this..

this is all basic stuff..

I'd bet a weeks worth of beer that you haven't contacted your LABC and notified them, that you most probably havent put the cables in the safe zones or thought about the use of RCD's for protection, and a whole heap of other things...

whilst we are here to help out on the easier things that DIY'ers get themselves into trouble with, it's really not a good idea to try a rewire yourself..

edit: bah, beat me to it BAS..

Sponsored Links
i appreciate this. The reason i was asked this basic question was i was not changing any of my electrics, just putting them in the wall were they were anyway, just in plastic coving. I am not changing the route or cabels or anything like that, just a straight put in the wall. I decided anyway that i am getting a sparky round. One final thing, i have been quoted 45 pound an hour, would you say this is reasonable for the nottingham area?

i appreciate this. The reason i was asked this basic question was i was not changing any of my electrics, just putting them in the wall were they were anyway, just in plastic coving. I am not changing the route or cabels or anything like that, just a straight put in the wall.
But you can't just "put them in the wall".

1) There are structural factors to consider, particularly with horizontal chases.

2) Before they weren't concealed, but now they are, and there are regulations concerning where concealed cables are allowed to be - even though they follow the same route they may not comply with those regulations.

3) Unless special alternatives are implemented, concealed cables require RCD protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back