Hive Multiroom

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,
I'm trying to install two Hive thermostats. I've got upstairs and downstairs which is controlled by Danfoss HPA2 Port valves.

As I understand it, in the wiring control centre the top wires stay the same, they control the valves.

I'll need to:
Remove the two grey cables which connect to the blue cables.
Same with the black which connect to brown.
Same with brown which connect to grey.

Connect 4 core cable.
Brown to grey
Blue to blue
Black to brown

I'm not sure about both sides of Earth cable or if I need to connect any colours to each other within the receiver.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221127_121942.jpg
    IMG_20221127_121942.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20221127_090330.jpg
    IMG_20221127_090330.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
The two terminals second and third from the lefy with sharpie marks on the back from the left look to be the switched lives for your two zones with a three core to each stat position, so you want to take the baclsk out of there (label them up first), you also want to take the associated lives (browns) and neutrals (greys [should be sleeved blue]) out as well, but only the ones associated with the switched lives, you'll have one of each left along with the black which joins the oranges which want to stay in there (this is the three core which appears to go back to another joint box near the boiler (I presume)

You'll need a five core flex, earth to earth, blue will be your neutral, brown is your live, and you'll have a grey and a black left which sleevd brown will be your two switched lives. Depending on how the receiver is, you might need to jumper live to common of the relays, or this might be done internally and the common wont be presented to you

If you’re not concerned about the receivers being on display, and if both Danfoss’ are wired up the same, why not just put the Hive receivers in place of them, transferring the wires over?

The wiring centre in your case is easy as the motorised valves wire colours show what everything is.
1670233913293.png

Personally I would combine the two zones, and use a single thermostat and move over to programmable TRV's with one or two linked.

The whole idea of hard wired zone valves in most homes is flawed, as we tend as time goes on to reassign what rooms are used for, so builder may have called it a 3 bedroom home, but one bedroom may become an office, or children use bedrooms to do home work, so each room wants it's own schedule of heating.

The hive wall thermostat does have the "Demand for heat" function as long as under 22°C, so as long as not in a room kept over that limit, other rooms can cause the boiler to fire up.

The problem with using all linked TRV's is cost, but normally you only need one or two linked, the rest can be far cheaper programmable units, I use these 61dmtMm13BL.jpg cost me £15 each in 2019, and means I now have 9 zones not just 2. The non linked will control rooms so not over heated, but will not fire up boiler, so really need linked in one or two rooms to ensure the boiler fires up.

Sponsored Links
Another comment in coming

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-05-16-14-44-409_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-05-16-14-44-409_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 36
@Adam_151 - Thanks for your reply. I'll connect all that up tonight.
The receiver is now attached.
I'm a little confused about the jumper live to common... is that just a single brown wire from Live to 1?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back