HIVE Control Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have an old central heating system with a conventional boiler. Im trying to replace the control with a dual channel Hive unit but I'm a bit stumped on the wiring!

The backbone for the control unit has two cables, one mains power (red, black and earth) and the second cable has four wires, 2 black, one brown and one grey. One of these black wires has a "CH ON" label and the brown wire has a "HW ON" label (see attached photo).

I think the system is pump driven for both hot water and heating, I have attached a photo of the pipes at the side of the hot water tank.

Can anyone help be work out which terminals I need to connect the wires to..?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Wires.jpeg
    Wires.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Pipes.jpeg
    Pipes.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
One wire should be Hot water off as you have a Y plan. Did you take a photo of the wiring prior to removal of the old one?

Hi Chris, thanks for taking the time to answer. Unfortunately, the original controller had been removed before I took over the property. The boiler seems to be working fine and the immersion heater is working, just don't want to short anything out while trying to reconnect the controller!

Sponsored Links
The wiring Center (white box adjacent to the Honeywell motorised valve) can you safely remove that and take a photo of the wiring inside there? Also the wiring hanging out of the bottom could do with neatening.

Hi Chris, I took the front off the "Wiring Centre", it's a nightmare! Just a rats nest of wires connected using single pieces of connector strip! No wiring centre at all. I will try and separate it out so you can take a look at it. I think my next job is to replace this with a proper wiring centre!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
OK, this is a photo of the "Rats Nest"! From what I can see, the control wires are as follows:

Black Wire 1 connects to Grey on the Valve and Yellow on the Tank Thermostat.

Black Wire 2 connects to Red on what I assume is the boiler cable.

Brown goes to the Red wire on the Thermostat

Grey goes to Blue on the valve.

I hope this makes sense!

Attachments

• Rats Nest.jpeg
    Rats Nest.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Thanks
OK, this is a photo of the "Rats Nest"! From what I can see, the control wires are as follows:

Black Wire 1 connects to Grey on the Valve and Yellow on the Tank Thermostat.

Black Wire 2 connects to Red on what I assume is the boiler cable.

Brown goes to the Red wire on the Thermostat

Grey goes to Blue on the valve.

I hope this makes sense!
Kind of. I think one of the black is hot water off going to the grey wire. See if this attachment makes any sense to you

Attachments

• 0C082987-6381-4BB2-9933-B12485AFF0C8.png
    0C082987-6381-4BB2-9933-B12485AFF0C8.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 10
  • E3D70AED-D164-47F2-BC9F-C66B1BD0991C.jpeg
    E3D70AED-D164-47F2-BC9F-C66B1BD0991C.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 9
Chris, Many thanks for that, I have identified the HW OFF Black Wire now. Only question remaining is what the hell is the other black wire for? It connects to the Red wire on a cable with Red, Blue, Yellow and earth..?

• Thanks
My bad, the question should be where does the grey (blue) wire go. Ive had a closer look at the rats nest and it appears to connect to all the other blue wires in the "Control Centre". I assume this is a Neutral??? Do I connect this to the Main Neutral on the Hive controller?

• Thanks
This is where I am so far. I have Identified the CH ON, HW ON and the HW OFF wires. All that remains is the Grey or Blue wire that connects to all the other blue wires in the "Control Centre"

• Thanks
It looks like the pale blue goes in with a darker blue - if you can figure out what that’s for, then you figure out whether it’s a neutral or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back