Connecting Electric cooker

Sponsored Links
I may not be typical as you have discovered before. I liked "piddly little jobs". I was happy with £45 - not too far away.
Fair enough - but even that is quite a significant amount on top of a product cost which could well be around a couple of hundred quid or so. Mind you, the likes of Argos would charge ~£100 for 'recycling plus connection', which would make you fairly cheap!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Or spade terminals. Except for the earth.
Well spotted BAS! Spare spade on both Lives and unused spades on the all Neutrals! Only the earth would need a ring terminal!

Changing the subject slightly, the new oven my daughter-in-law bought specified 1.5mm² "heat resistant" flex to connect it. The connection on the cooker was similar to that on the OP's but all you could see was the two (L & N) screws in a heavy plastic block, with the earth adjacent. I went to my auto-electrics box and found three blue ring terminals, which I crimped on with a ratchet crimper. I wonder how many people would have attempted to just wrap the 1.5mm² around the screw, making a bad and potentially dangerous connection? It's not unusual for these ovens to be connected to a 32A cooker circuit!

It is agreed that spades, like ring terminals, have to be crimped, preferably with a ratchet crimper. My point was that the oven, wired in 1.5mm² flex, was connected to a circuit with a 32A OCD, which is twice the continuous rating of the flex.

It is agreed that spades, like ring terminals, have to be crimped, preferably with a ratchet crimper.
I was thinking of the open barrel uninsulated ones which the oven has in the picture.

My point was that the oven, wired in 1.5mm² flex, was connected to a circuit with a 32A OCD, which is twice the continuous rating of the flex.
I know. My point is that that would be satisfactory.

Spade terminals still need to be properly fitted - another crimper.
They do. However, maybe I'm over-cautious or over-sceptical, but I think that I would personally be happier with something more 'positive' than a 'pushed on' spade connector (albeit there are already some there!) for the relatively high currents involved, given that the tightness of the contact is entirely dependent upon a bit of bent (and not even particularly 'springy') metal.

Kind Regards, John

However, maybe I'm over-cautious or over-sceptical, but I think that I would personally be happier with something more 'positive' than a 'pushed on' spade connector (albeit there are already some there!) for the relatively high currents involved, given that the tightness of the contact is entirely dependent upon a bit of bent (and not even particularly 'springy') metal.
I did wonder the same when spade terminals were first mentioned but don't know if scepticism is justified.

I presume they must be rated the same as whatever cable they accept.

I did wonder the same when spade terminals were first mentioned but don't know if scepticism is justified. I presume they must be rated the same as whatever cable they accept.
I don't doubt they are. However, as I said, my concerns would relate to how tightly the two sides of the 'joint' will be held in contact - both initially and over a long period of time - and I can't say that I have as much faith in a 'bent piece of metal' (in a temperature-cycling environment) as I would in a screwed terminal, or even a 'properly sprung' one.

Kind Regards, John

I have often pondered that, the spades are often used in catering equipment, more so for outgoing parts like elements etc and you often see the piggy back ones, but rarely the load on them is more than about 13 amps, I would be hesitant about using them as a supply to an oven, i have often seen the insulated spades discoloured presumably from over heated connections.

I suppose it is assumed by manufacturers and sellers of fitted electrical equipment that a certain amount of electrical 'fitting' is required, and wire crimpers, as wires are to be fitted would also fall within the remit of that assumption.

Just as 1ph mains consists of live in brown and neutral in blue, the orientation of a TV remove battery requires a certain orientation, if the OP is unsure if which way round the wires go, and cannot decipher the colour coding or L/N labelling, then perhaps an electrician is required in this instance.

Having said that I'd happily make those connections in exchange for a decent bottle of Pinot Noir..

He could have an entire kitchen and all new appliances fitted for less than the cost of a bottle of Richebourg or Romanée-Conti Grand Cru.... ;)

They do. However, maybe I'm over-cautious or over-sceptical, but I think that I would personally be happier with something more 'positive' than a 'pushed on' spade connector (albeit there are already some there!) for the relatively high currents involved, given that the tightness of the contact is entirely dependent upon a bit of bent (and not even particularly 'springy') metal.
But....

upload_2018-2-27_10-58-40.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back