Connecting Electric cooker

Sponsored Links
Yes, but the ones that are already there only supply individual items; not all of them.

Having said that, there are heatproof stronger looking spade connectors so perhaps a little brass one used for the car, which people might be thinking of, would not be suitable.

Yes, but the ones that are already there only supply individual items; not all of them.
True, but assuming that those 'individual items' probably include oven elements etc., I'm still not sure how comfortable I am with such connections being used.
Having said that, there are heatproof stronger looking spade connectors so perhaps a little brass one used for the car, which people might be thinking of, would not be suitable.
Again, true - but those ones in the piccie don't look any different from the ones in my car or toolbox, so I still have to wonder.

It's certainly a common practice in manufactured goods (saves manufacturing, and even maintenance, time, I guess). For example, it is common for everything inside a fan heater (including element) or toaster etc. to be connected using what appear to be 'standard cheapo' spade connectors.

Kind Regards, John

True, but assuming that those 'individual items' probably include oven elements etc., I'm still not sure how comfortable I am with such connections being used.
Maybe you're not but it could be another "1A fuse" moment. :)

Again, true - but those ones in the piccie don't look any different from the ones in my car or toolbox, so I still have to wonder.
Perhaps not but they likely only have to carry 8A at the most - probably less - so no different than your headlights.

32A may be too much. When I looked the other night I could not find any that were stated for more than 1.5mm² csa, so ...
It was only a suggestion from Bas that spades be used.
Had anyone considered their use before? I never have.

It's certainly a common practice in manufactured goods (saves manufacturing, and even maintenance, time, I guess). For example, it is common for everything inside a fan heater (including element) or toaster etc. to be connected using what appear to be 'standard cheapo' spade connectors.
Can we not therefore assume that it is satisfactory?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps not but they likely only have to carry 8A at the most - probably less - so no different than your headlights.
True, but I've certainly seen spade connectors in cars 'fail' and/or suffer from apparent thermal effects, so I'm not sure that proves very much.
32A may be too much. When I looked the other night I could not find any that were stated for more than 1.5mm² csa, so ... It was only a suggestion from Bas that spades be used. Had anyone considered their use before? I never have.
No, I certainly haven't considered using spade connectors in 'high current' situations (like the entire supply to a cooker or oven) - BAS is the only person I can recall having even suggested it.
Can we not therefore assume that it is satisfactory?
Never assume :) I suppose that it depends on what you mean by 'satisfactory'. As with my cars, I have certainly seen such connectors in fan heaters and other appliances which have 'failed', or at least exhibit signs of thermal effects suggestive of a less-than-ideal electrical connection.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back