Connecting Gas appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe one for the combustion chamber - but I can't access it

Why do you need to be "gas safe" to connect a gas appliance except where the gas appliance is movable and connected to a gas bottle.

Presumably both are equally hazardous??

Or do I need a gas safe fitter to fit my gas torch to the propane bottle?

Sponsored Links
Because Immedialtely a fixed gas appliance is connected the appliance shall be commissioned and tested to ensure it can be operated safetly and if it can't it will be disconnected and capped and a warning notice raised Thats Why!! ;)

OK - but why only fixed appliances?

But why are mobile appliances not subject to the same rules - a leak from her propane heater would have killed my gran as easily as a leak from the mains gas.

mobile gas units such as gas fires are flueless, they also come with the hoses supplied which would of been tested at the factory, the gas bottle is contained within the unit which was made and tested at the factory as a complete working unit, the hose has simple bayonet connections for connecting the bottle to the fire.
fixed units are normally flued, they would need a gas supply run to them that needs to be correctly sized and tested for tightness after installation, also a flue has to be installed, again this needs to be checked to ensure it is working correctly for safe operation of the appliance, finally the appliance has to be commissioned and put into operation.

Sponsored Links
mobile gas units such as gas fires are flueless, they also come with the hoses supplied which would of been tested at the factory, the gas bottle is contained within the unit which was made and tested at the factory as a complete working unit, the hose has simple bayonet connections for connecting the bottle to the fire.
fixed units are normally flued, they would need a gas supply run to them that needs to be correctly sized and tested for tightness after installation, also a flue has to be installed, again this needs to be checked to ensure it is working correctly for safe operation of the appliance, finally the appliance has to be commissioned and put into operation.

I have mobile appliances with screwed connections so i can change the gas bottle.

So it looks like the issue is that a fixed appliance has to be commissioned, a movable appliance will be ready commissioned when sold. Is that correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back