Removing a gas appliance and terminating the supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a freestanding gas cooker which I wish to disconnect. I will no longer require a gas appliance so I need to terminate the supply to this point.
The cooker is currently connected to a flexible hose which is then connected to a short length (approx 20cm) of 15mm copper pipe. At the end of this pipe is tap/valve with a 1/4" square nut and finally the larger gas pipe leading into the floor.

I have been advised by a kitchen fitter that, as the householder, I am allowed to terminate the supply to the appliance as long as I do not connect a new appliance. He said that closing this valve and putting in a 'bung' to the end of the pipe was all that is required.

Is this advice correct and what form would the 'bumg' be?
Would a simple 15mm end-cap with rubber seal do the job?

Sponsored Links
Would a simple 15mm end-cap with rubber seal do the job?
NO! One chap who thought that would be OK blew up some flats and went to prison.

Though in principle it's simple, there are many things which a corgi would check were right, almost without thinking about it.
Advise you get one in, it shouldn't cost much for a local guy. Last one I did, was 100 metres from home and I charged £25.

You may physically be able to do it, but if anything happened afterwards your house insurance would be invalid.

Thanks for the advice.
I have someone booked for Saturday - £25 as you said.

I am confident I could do it, but I'll leave it to the pro.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back