Connecting LED strip (picture included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I do this; run power from an existing double socket up into a one-way, one gang light switch. Then connect from the switch into the transformer, which then powers the LED strip?

Thank you in advance.

Switch.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

I bought the transformer and the strip light on-line, what cables do I need to go from the switch to the transformer please (they didn't send one)?

Also, the cable that runs between the socket and the switch is 2.5 mm two-core-and-earth, I hope this is correct?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

Screwfix and Toolstation don't have any of that cable in stock, can I just strip down the 2.5 mm two-core-and-earth, and use those wires instead?

I just want to test the strip light to see it's colour and test a few positions. So using the 2.5mm will just be for testing purposes until I can get some of the correct wires. I'm guessing it will be okay to use the 2.5 for testing?

Ok for "testing" but really needs to be double insulated unlessin an enclosure as Adam said. Apart from it being hard to work with and connect into fcu and transformer you could use t&e to connect permanently but.... .your local DIY shop might do cable similiar to the one I linked to by the metre, mine does (expensively!)

Thanks guys. After a search around Norfolk I found some of the 0.75mm2 coil. I've wired it all up and it works a treat.

Much appreciated.

Ahhh, I wouldn't have thought they would sell that. Never mind, thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back