Connecting Marley guttering different guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This old guttering I tried to repair obviously didn't have the original short end piece of guttering. The new bit was bigger, when I tried to force it in the clip on old Marley guttering snapped. It's still usable though The gutter guy said the 30 yr old Marley guttering doesn't exist anymore and to join it I would have to cut out notches. The original end cap also smashed on the floor and cracked, I was told because it's old and brittle when I pushed the end piece of guttering onto the ground. To attach a new end cap where the clips are much smaller it looks like I will have to cut really deep notches. (about a cm). is it worth it?

What looked like a basic job has turned into a nightmare!

Sponsored Links
This is basically how I attached a smaller end cap on gutterong no idea if this is the correct way but seems to have worked when mixing different types of guttering.
DSC_0479.JPG

You've done OK there - the "old Marley" was a PITA when it was "new Marley " I had to maintain a whole estate of 200 houses badly fitted with it from new - the notch tool wasn't used and the joints pulled apart. Some of the stuff was 3 floors up :unsure: Poxy stupid idea from a major manufacturer.

You've done OK there - the "old Marley" was a PITA when it was "new Marley " I had to maintain a whole estate of 200 houses badly fitted with it from new - the notch tool wasn't used and the joints pulled apart. Some of the stuff was 3 floors up :unsure: Poxy stupid idea from a major manufacturer.

Notch tool? I used a hacksaw to cut those notches.

Sponsored Links
I noticed that - but on the original ones the notches had been cut to the end of the gutter so they pulled out. Yours will work(y)

Do you always test the gutters with a hose pipe after unblocking or fixing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back