connecting outdoor security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I want to add an outside security light into my garage which is adjacent to my living room, and have a blanking plate which I think at some time must off been a switch with live wires behind it in my living room and was wondering in I can wire into this for my light. The wires are one red in a choc block one red and yellow in another and a black and blue in another. I know the easy way is to add into the existing lighting circuit but I have just had new carpets laid and don't want to take them up.

Sponsored Links
Hi all I want to add an outside security light into my garage which is adjacent to my living room, and have a blanking plate which I think at some time must off been a switch with live wires behind it in my living room
Did you check that using a 2-pole tester between L & N?

and was wondering in I can wire into this for my light.
Probably not.

The wires are one red in a choc block one red and yellow in another and a black and blue in another.
Which is exactly what you'd find if a 2-way switch had been removed and replaced by connections behind a blanking plate, in which case there's no neutral there, and you cannot take power for an outside light from there.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:lrnonharm

Have a look at the other switch in the room, see what's there.

I know the easy way is to add into the existing lighting circuit but I have just had new carpets laid and don't want to take them up.
Nothing like planning ahead, is there?

If, as I strongly suspect, there is no neutral behind that blanking plate then it's either lift carpets to get at the lighting circuit, or no light.

Thanks for your reply I suppose I better start lifting the carpets!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back