Connecting Shower inlet to Hep20 / Plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I connect my Hep20 pipe to the inlet of my shower?

The Triton shower manual says that when connecting to plastic pipe a pushfit fitting must not be used. It goes on to insist on a brass compression fitting.

I can't believe that it's better for me to use a brass compression fitting! The shower inlet is plastic and my pipe is plastic...!

I don't know what to do for the best!?

Simon.

Sponsored Links
think you will find they are worried incase the back pressure blows it off.

the hotter an electric shower is (that is for that particular shower) the more back pressure there is, since electric shows reduce out flow (so back pressure goes up) as a way of keeping the water in the shower longer (seconds) to heat it up more

As I understand it you you can still use your plastic pipe without using the push on fitting. You can use a olive on the plastic pipe but it needs a insert in the pipe and I think this insert may restrict the flow a little.
What might be better is change from plastic to say chrome using a push fit fitting at 3 or 4 ft below the shower and then you have chrome to the shower using olives.
Two other points (a) you need to remove some chrome at the push fit fitting to get down to the soft copper, so the claws of the fitting can bite and hold the pipe. (b) Use copper olives instead of brass ( brass being harder) and don't tighten them so much, its better for water to weep from the joint and tighten until it stops than to overdo it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
for the flow restriction on an electric shower wouldnt be noticed they work on the principle of the slower the water the hotter it gets

I reapeat use a pushfit when the ceiling comes down at 4am let me know

do you think they tell you not to use them for fun

Okay I've used a brass compression fitting.

Now it's weeping at the join to the Hep20...hehe

Simon.

You've used a brass compression fitting OK. Is this to take the HEP20.
Have you used the stainless steel insert and have you used a copper olive.

Just used the olive that came with the fitting. Should I undo the fitting now and change the olive or is it best to see if the leak will heal itself?

But I did use the insert sleeve in the Hep though.

Simon.

I can't see the leak healing itself, so you have options.
(1)Change to a copper olive if you can remove the existing olive.
(2) Tighten the existing olive a little more till the leak stops.
(3) Apply some form of non setting sealant to the olive.
Although sealant should not be needed 'non setting sealant' can't do any harm and may make the difference. If I need sealant on any form of oil or watertight joint I usually use 'Hermatite red' (Halfords). If 'Hermatite red ' is used, I would not use the first bit out of the tube as it's a bit too thin.Also Hermatite red can easily be removed
(4) Apply a turn or two of PTFE tape. I suspect the water is passing between pipe and olive and not around the outside of the olive, but it's always worth a try.

Changed to copper olive, wrapped PFTE...and NO LEAKS!!

Thanks!!

Simon.

Downstairs flat had a plastic pushfit elbow let go on their recently installed shower. The flat being empty at the time, the water gushed out for approx two hours and to make matters worse, the occupant of the flat beneath it was away for the weekend! Between the carpets in the leaky flat and the ceilings, furniture and carpets of the ground floor flat, the insurance companies will be forking out well over 10k including re-housing the tenant whilst the "Asbestos laden" Artex is removed and the ceilings re-done

What a lot of people forget is that showers take water at mains pressure rather than cold-water tank pressure and fail to appreciate the potential power.

I'm definitely using copper pipe for my new shower installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back