Connecting shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening chaps and chapettes!
Right I cannot get my head around this one, been a long day!
Have shower valve similar to this, but with male thread.

the hot and cold supply runs vertically up a stone wall and aqua-panel fitted over it, (PVC pipe work to avoid corrosion with lime in wall)

Then I have compression nut and olive at open end prior to connecting the tap connector on to.
Now then I have purchased angled tap connectors similar to this but in chrome, as the 1/2 inch tap nut will be visible.
My problem is that I cannot manage to to get the shower valve fitting and the tap connectors connection to be water tight on the right (cold side of valve) The hot is okay, but the connector is half turn too tight of too slack.
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that the threads on the valve are too short for the threads on the tap connectors? Have you tried an extra fibre washer to close the gap?

If it's a swivel nut tap connector there should be no "half turn too" anything.
Line up the compression end and tighten the nut. Job done.

There is plenty of thread on the valve.
The tap connector has compression nut at the 15mm connection to supply pipe but the 1/2 inch is rigid.(imagine the ones with the back plate on)
So when both angled connectors are fitted to the right and left hand male threads till tight. The hot is in a suitable position and watertight where the cold is the same position as hot but needs to be facing opposite.
Have wrapped plenty PTFE around them , washer was the next step but was wondering if that was the correct way to do this.

I have this type of valve

View media item 49500
This type of tap connector

But the male threads are not downwards for connection, but backward going towards the wall. So needed angled connectors, but when tighten face the same way, one in, one out, need them both pointing inwards.

Sponsored Links
You can adjust the final alignment of the tapered threads in the fittings by adjusting the amount of tape you use in the assembly.
When assembling the connectors, only turn them to tighten them. If you need to back them off to get the alignment right, they will probably leak, so dismantle the joint, clean it up, and re-make it with more or less tape.

Thanks all for the words of wisdom, much appreciated.
Will go down the route of more/less PTFE first, as I don't want leaky moments! If that fails will need to with washer.
Does it make a difference if rubber or fibre?

Loctite 55 is supposedly better than PTFE tape for 'backing off'.
I will remember that next time I am at the suppliers.
Sussed it now though, took shower valve appendage and tap connector off, tightened a 15mm cooper pipe to 15mm nut, PTFE on male thread of appendage, hand tightened, then a carefully selected allen key down opposite end of appendage, then added a little elbow grease.
Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back