Connecting SWA to existing circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have done a few searches on this and look at various hep guides but struggling to find the exact solution to my question, hope someone can help.

Had the garden landscaped with new patio etc etc and lighting installed, the lighting is connected to SWA and comes back to the house. Landscaper has left about 3ft of SWA remaining to connect into the house.

I feel fairly competent with electrics, but haven't done something using SWA before and am just trying to weigh up the best way to do it. These are the options I have running in my head at the moment:

1) Drill a hole in the wall, run the SWA through then connect the SWA to an RCD through a gland inside the house with something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-2-way-fully-insulated-rcd-board-consumer-unit/45235, then connect some 1.5mm normal cable to the RCD and run this to the switch that controls the lights that are connected to the back of the house.

1a) Not use an RCD (although I rather would use one) and use a connection box like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/adaptable-box-ip65-110-x-110-x-67mm/17962 to connect the SWA to the 1.5mm cable.

2) Are there any useful guides to burying lighting cable into a wall when connecting it to the socket? Have done it before but I seemed to make it 10x more difficult than I think it should have been, haven't been able to find any useful guides.

3) Not bother with any of my ideas and just get someone else to do it.

Appreciate any help/suggestions

Sponsored Links
1a) Not use an RCD (although I rather would use one) and use ....
Does the circuit to which it will be connected already have RCD protection in your consumer unit - if so, there's no need for a second one.

2) Are there any useful guides to burying lighting cable into a wall when connecting it to the socket?
Is this a totally different and unrelated question? The rest of what you ask relates to lighting, not sockets.

Kind Regards, John.

Does the circuit to which it will be connected already have RCD protection in your consumer unit - if so, there's no need for a second one.

Yes it does, 2 of them! So I can just go for the junction box then?

Is this a totally different and unrelated question? The rest of what you ask relates to lighting, not sockets

My bad, I meant switch, not socket.

Yes it does, 2 of them! So I can just go for the junction box then?
Yes, as I said, if the circuit is already RCD-protected, a second RCD is unnecessary - so you would just need a box in which to terminate the SWA and connect it to the T&E cable..

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks

Fitting an IP66 box which was reasonably easy, just need to fight the cable through the wall into the switch now!

Did you terminate the SWA correctly with a proper gland and earth the armour ? How is the SWA connected into the lights in the garden ?
This work is notifiable under part P of the building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back