Connecting the additional lamp on a sun pipe. Part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am going to install a sun pipe in a bathroom that has no natural light and was going to include an optional electric light within the pipe.

I understand that electrical installation in bathrooms falls under part p regs, but what about the connection of the lamp inside the sun pipe? As the lamp holder and connection is actually above the bathroom ceiling level (technically outside the room) does this fall under part p?

The light switch for the bathroom is located in the landing wall, so that is outside the bathroom also.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would consider it outside the bathroom, in the same way that I would a ducted extractor fan. That's just my opinion though, your LABC's interpretation may vary.

It falls under part P as it's electrics in a house so has to be done safely. Do you have to tell the council? I would say No.

Reasons.

1) Outside zones in bathroom as you have already indicated.
2) A sun pipe is not fixed electrical equipment, any electric light is ancillary.
2) Not notifiable as you are adding a light fitting to an existing circuit and this is specifically permitted by the law.

Its your house, look for reasons to permit you to work legally on your own house, ignore argument to prevent you when you can quite safely interpret otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back