Connecting three gutters to a water butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to connect three lengths of guttering to a water butt?

Two of the lengths will be from an apex-roofed garden shed - the butt will be to the right of the back of the shed so it will be near one side of the shed but the width of the shed ( 9 feet ) away from the other side.

The third gutter will be from a log store with a rearward sloping roof which will be beside the butt.

What is the best way to channel the rainwater from the gutters to the butt? Rigid downpipes wouldn't work as the butt won't be directly below any of them. A 45 degree downpipe joint will not work on the furtherst gutter as it would be too low at the point of entry to the butt.

I thought about flexible pipe/conduit ( as used for electrical work) but how would this be connected to the gutter outlet?

I won't need rainwater diverters as there's no drain for the excess water to go in to anyway so the butt can just overflow.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Can you not simply just turn the gutter around the end of the shed and run it across the gabled end and to the butt and do the same with the log store? ?Then finish all three at a hopper with a downpipe to the butt.

Can you not simply just turn the gutter around the end of the shed and run it across the gabled end and to the butt and do the same with the log store? ?Then finish all three at a hopper with a downpipe to the butt.

Thanks but no as pipes crossing the space between the log store and the shed would be an obstruction.

How about using squareline gutter, (giving you a flat surface)? You could then fit a sink or basin waste into the bottom of the gutter, then couple onto that to run waste pipe (either 32 or 40mm) to the butt. Just cap off ends of gutter as normal, no need for a downpipe outlet.

Sponsored Links
Another thought,
It seems then that the gutters from the shed can just be run in without much problem but as the log store is the one causing the problem would it not be simpler to get another butt for this roof? I have butts on most of my sheds and know how quickly they fill up so an extra butt would be a bonus perhaps?

i would suggest unless you have a very large roof area and a very large underground storage tank your "harvesting " will have minimal impact on your water bill or water usage
the most water is harvested when you don't need it
and when you need it iff your tank is small it will last perhaps a week

look on the internet work out your average rainfall for your area multiply by your roof area to give a capacity
work out your summer requirements over rain fall
then thats your average consumption add 20% to cover most summers 40% to cover all summers then you will a lake in your garden the size off windermere lol

just remember 2000 litres is charged at 2 units in my case £3.50p yes three pound fifty pence
so you need to work out the instalation costs against the savings possible and work out iff your set up is an expensive save the planet idea or to save money

Another thought,
It seems then that the gutters from the shed can just be run in without much problem but as the log store is the one causing the problem would it not be simpler to get another butt for this roof? I have butts on most of my sheds and know how quickly they fill up so an extra butt would be a bonus perhaps?

Yes indeed but there isn't room. I've looked at this but need it all to go in to one butt.

i would suggest unless you have a very large roof area and a very large underground storage tank your "harvesting " will have minimal impact on your water bill or water usage
the most water is harvested when you don't need it
and when you need it iff your tank is small it will last perhaps a week

look on the internet work out your average rainfall for your area multiply by your roof area to give a capacity
work out your summer requirements over rain fall
then thats your average consumption add 20% to cover most summers 40% to cover all summers then you will a lake in your garden the size off windermere lol

just remember 2000 litres is charged at 2 units in my case £3.50p yes three pound fifty pence
so you need to work out the instalation costs against the savings possible and work out iff your set up is an expensive save the planet idea or to save money

From a fiscal perspective you're correct but I want to use the rainwater in my garden rather than treated water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back