Connecting timber to Steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

What is the correct way of connecting timber into the web of a steel, Whether it is floor joists or roof rafters.

I have used a nail gun and fitted 6x2 into the whole length and then screwed noggins in between each joist, screwing the joist to the noggin.

Is this correct.

A friend said I should have used straps, but I don't understand how you could do that on a steel.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally, after fitting the timber into the web, you would fit joist hangers to this, and/or up and over the beam depending what type of hangers they were. These support the joists from beneath

Your method is OK, but just involves more work.

Technically/theoretically, there may be issues with screw fixings near the ends of timber joists and into the end grain of the noggins, but this would not be a problem for normal domestic loading

Thanks ^woody^.

If I were to use a joist hanger that went over the top and fixed to the back of the steel, wouldn't t have to mould the hanger around the steel to get a good fixing.

The way I have done it gives a bearing of about 40/50mm.

As you have said there's not much load on it, so I'll leave it as is.

Thanks.

Thanks ^woody^.

If I were to use a joist hanger that went over the top and fixed to the back of the steel, wouldn't t have to mould the hanger around the steel to get a good fixing.

The way I have done it gives a bearing of about 40/50mm.

As you have said there's not much load on it, so I'll leave it as is.

Thanks.

you should wrap the jiffy hanger around the timber and then bolt it to the steel..

Sponsored Links
Thanks geraint.

That seems like a much safer/stronger fixing.

I will do that. It will just take a bit longer to measure out everything, so the joist line up once the steel is in position.

Would the straps that don't go all the way around the timber be sufficient.

The hanger itself will not be taking the load, I will fix them so they are resting on the lip of the steel. In theory the hanger will only be stoping them from moving from side to side.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back