raising joist in steel web

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
My steels are all fitted and I am going to be putting my timbers in the web of the steel. However I need the bottom of my timbers about 10-15mm off the web. Is it ok to pack them out with either some timber of metal shim? Also do you need to attach the timber spaced in-between the floor joists to the steel itself? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it can be easier to bolt a stout timber into the web and then hang joists off that. This is especially the case if the steel gets in the way of your ffl.

If you really want to put them in the web then dont shim them with timber. steel plates would do but honestly 15mm is quite a packer and if you have a few joists to do it may be quicker to hang them.

Thanks r896neo for that information. If I was to put timber in the web and use joist hangers it would require me drilling through the steel as there are no holes. Do you know the required spacing to do this and the size bolts required? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Thanks r896neo for that information. If I was to put timber in the web and use joist hangers it would require me drilling through the steel as there are no holes. Do you know the required spacing to do this and the size bolts required? Thank you
m12 bolts with 600 centres usually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back