Connecting to copper incomming water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I need to connect to an incoming water main under the kitchen floor in a house. The supply turns off outside the house but it passes a bit so I can't solder a fitting on to the pipe to move it I really need to use a compression fitting. Is this acceptable the fitting will on completion of the job be underneath a insulation/ screed floor as the floor is getting replaced.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid burying any pipe under a floor, and certainly not a compression fitting. two houses I've had pipes buried in concrete have sprung leaks, luckily in both cases I was able to lay new pipes bypassing the leak

I've just re-read your message, so the external stopcock is not turning off completely. Is it on your property? It may determine who's responsibility that is. Fit another stopcock after the first? Pipe freezing kit? I still would avoid a supply under a floor because of past experience

+1 for the bread, set your pipe up ready to solder but don't put it together, push pipe down to get as much water out as possible, stuff the bread in the pipe (upstream obviously) and solder it as quick as you can. Stick a temporary hose on the end and blow the bread out. Done it loads of times, it does work.

Sponsored Links
so solder then turn the mains on to flush the bread out? Thought compression might be ok enough though its under coat, it can't really be knocked can it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back