Incoming watermain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The incoming main to my house (built in '80s) is black plastic and measures 22mm diameter. I wish to move the attached stop cock so need to extend plastic with 22mm copper. Anyone know if I can use modern plastic push-fit fittings on this older plastic pipe?

Sponsored Links
If you're converting to copper, there are brass fittings that will do the job. I'm sure yorkshire do one . :)

Anyone know if I can use modern plastic push-fit fittings on this older plastic pipe?
No, you can't.

Philmac fittings are designed to fit imperial sized alkathene without adaptors.

Plumbase (Norwich, Kings Lynn, Gt Yarmouth) and Buildbase (Norwich, Diss, Wisbech) are stockists of Philmac.

Sponsored Links
Original pipe seems to be metric (22mm diameter, not 3/4"). Think I will try a Yorkshire fitting. Thanks for reply.

About 4 cm exposed, so size mark is underground! That the modern piping is 20 or 25 mm is what prompted the question! Mine definitely measures 20mm.
Stop cock looks to have typical yorkshire compression type nut, presumably with an olive. So perhaps a 22mm compression fitting will work?

Sorry, but you initially stated it measured 22mm, now you state 20mm?!?!

If it is MDPE it is probably 20mm outside diameter.
If it is imperial alkathene it is probably 1/2" inside diameter.

As stated previously, Philmac fittings are designed to fit both types of pipe.

22mm copper compression fittings will almost certainly not work on your 'plastic' pipe. Plus I think you need to be extending in 15mm copper, not 22mm, as you almost certainly have 20mm/1/2" pipe in situ now, the equivalent bore size to 15mm copper (thereabouts).

The nuts on the stop cock might have a size stamped on them, or even on the stop cock body.
View media item 35004

Leave the org stop cock where it is and fit another one where you want it?

Sorry, but you initially stated it measured 22mm, now you state 20mm?!?!

If it is MDPE it is probably 20mm outside diameter.
If it is imperial alkathene it is probably 1/2" inside diameter.

As stated previously, Philmac fittings are designed to fit both types of pipe.

22mm copper compression fittings will almost certainly not work on your 'plastic' pipe. Plus I think you need to be extending in 15mm copper, not 22mm, as you almost certainly have 20mm/1/2" pipe in situ now, the equivalent bore size to 15mm copper (thereabouts).

The nuts on the stop cock might have a size stamped on them, or even on the stop cock body.
View media item 35004

My mistake, it does measure 22mm

[/img] View media item 35060
This is image of current fittings, close to floor as you can see.

As I stated previously, I think the black pipe is 1/2" imperial alkathene. It would be pointless extending this with 22mm copper.

1/2" x 15mm coupler, Kuterlite fig 1710KP, Prestex fig PL40A or equivalent.

The stop cock looks like a Prestex PL69A which was discontinued yonks ago IIRC.
If you can locate a Prestex PL40A the 1/2" end might just fit straight into the 1/2" nut, doing away with the need to cut the pipe.

are there any markings on the valve or nuts to help identify it?

As I stated previously, I think the black pipe is 1/2" imperial alkathene. It would be pointless extending this with 22mm copper.

1/2" x 15mm coupler, Kuterlite fig 1710KP, Prestex fig PL40A or equivalent.

The stop cock looks like a Prestex PL69A which was discontinued yonks ago IIRC.
If you can locate a Prestex PL40A the 1/2" end might just fit straight into the 1/2" nut, doing away with the need to cut the pipe.

are there any markings on the valve or nuts to help identify it?

Can only read Prestex England on nut, any numbers obscured, no numbers on tap.
To complicate things I have to fit an elbow where tap is to get round new pipework that gets in the way & cannot be re-routed.
Other forums confirm your indent of pipe as 1/2" Alkathane class C or D, giving an O/D of 7/8". From measurements the O/D is 0.010 down in diameter on metric 22mm copper, hence my thoughts a 22mm push fit would work. Don't have any old pipe to try but measuring a 22 fitting shows the seal and retainers to be somewhat smaller than the Alkathane.
Alternatively (since I cannot see a suitable elbow in prestex or philmac) if the present prestex uses a copper olive (and a liner?) then a 22 compression would surely work?

Prestex copper-size fittings come with brass olives as standard.
Most cheap brands of compression fittings seem to have copper olives. Buy a 22mm compression elbow and the appropriate liner (class C or D) and go for it.

What have you got to loose? Only you know that.

Prestex copper-size fittings come with brass olives as standard.
Most cheap brands of compression fittings seem to have copper olives. Buy a 22mm compression elbow and the appropriate liner (class C or D) and go for it.

What have you got to loose? Only you know that.

Thanks for all your advice, has helped a lot as I originally had no ident of the pipe and of course was puzzled as it didn't fit new stuff. Will let you know if it leaks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back