Connecting to mains electricity costs

As before there seems to be no price standards across the country and for that matter between similar jobs within an area as in post #7

Sponsored Links
I've tried a couple of the power companies online estimators but I can't believe it could cost that much
(in excess of £15,000).
Surely not.
Thanks, Jonny.

Could well be, but you might be able to reduce the cost, by negotiating and doing some of the work yourself, like digging the trench, lining it and back filling.

I've driven around the area to have a look at the poles and cables. Mostly there's a pole every 40m or so along the roads here, each pole serves 1 or 2 houses each, criss-crossing the road whenever it's needed. Sometimes the poles carry the broadband cable too. I'm guessing that if SSE are going to continue this method and there's capacity then they'll use another 2 poles to bring the cables up level to my plot then cross the road, put a pole on the plot and run the cable for 30m underground to the house site. Any ideas of the cost for this? The land on the other side of the road is privately owned by a large landowner, it's used for forestry and he owns thousands of acres. It's unlikely he would object but I'm wondering if the verge of a road where the poles are is public land anyway so there's no need to worry about wayleaves?

unless it’s a private road, generally no need for a wayleave for cables etc in verges. Would need permits etc, but that would be factored into your quote.

not sure on how sse work, but where I am, in a WPD area they generally don’t do new connections overhead. In fact I had the options for both for one job, new single phase supply, it was £1200 more for an overhead route, due to the cost of the new pole. Both quotes for same route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back