Connecting to sewer on private land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I understand that most private sewers have transferred ownership to the water companies now.

We are considering adding an en-suite to a bedroom - trouble is that the soil stack is on the completely opposite side of the house.

However, on the side of the house where the en-suite would be located there is a private road that leads to 2 properties. Under this road is a foul drain that serves these two properties (I know cos I've lifted the manhole cover in the road).

Question is whether the drain is public or private, given it's on a private road.

Ta,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Best thing would be to speak to any owners on this private land and also contact the relevant water authority. You may also find it helpful to contact Land Registry to see if they have any info about the drains ownership.

Thanks.... would rather find our feasibility before speaking to the owners... we've not long been there and since we're doing a fair bit of renovation they are a bit peeved with the noise and etc!!

Will keep digging - just wondered if anyone knew whether there was a rule.

I was under the impression that ALL sewers that served more than 1 property had been adopted whether on private land or not. Out water authority has a list of prices for doing various connections on their website. You'll have to use an approved contractor aiui

Sponsored Links
As previous poster, I think that any shared sewer (i.e. any drain that serves 2 or more properties) comes under the Water Authority remit from the point where the 2nd property joins, regardless of the ownership of the property under which it runs. Therefore you will need to contact the Water Company regarding making a connection, and may need to use a Water Company approved contractor to make the connection for you.

You will also need to seek permission from the landowner of this private road for permission to make any connection. You would also need (probably best to get a Solicitor) to draw up a legal 'easement', (I believe the term is), for this proposed new drain to pass under the neighbouring property (private road) to reach the existing sewer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back