connection to sewer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had an extension done and need to sort out the connection to the sewer running through my garden. I have spoken to council and water authority and have the agreement in place.

My sewer pipe is about 2m down and is combined but I don't want to install all my drainage and soil pipe down at 2m level purley because of all the digging involved.

Can you please provide me with some ideas on how I can achieve this? I was thinking of inspection chamber and raisers but I can't put another inspection chamber on top of the raisers. Ideally I want the drainage pipes laid at 500mm below ground level.

Any ideas would be appriciated, is sadle connection acceptable to BCO?

Sponsored Links
You can't saddle a pipe nowadays. A T or Y connection may be acceptable, depending on the site specifics

But a manhole may be required

Laying pipes at 500mm would require a back-drop manhole or a vertical section of pipe - either of which may not be acceptable if alternatives are available- ie deep fall angles

Hasn't the guy who did the plans worked this out, or wasn't there one?

woody, thanks for the reply.

The plans show a manhole and thats it. the sewer pipe runs parallel to the house and has been built over but to the side of the house there is 2.5m space where the pipe can be accessed from.

what your suggesting is to install a y junction, bring that up to about 500m below ground level and install an inspection chamber and have all drainage and wc fall into that obvuisly taking acocunt of all falls, is tis correct?

No, a manhole will need to start at the level of the existing drain. A back-drop manhole will let you keep new drains at a higher level before they drop vertically down into the manhole

An option to drop a vertical pipe to the Y connector may not be acceptable unless a very small amount of waste/water will be going down. You'll have to ask the BCO, or if he is nice he will tell you what options are possible.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand the reason why access chamber cannot be located away from the sewer pipe and why it has to be positioned in line with it. the sewer pipe is 6 " so if I t off using 6" pvc and install some pipe work to bring it up a meter and away from the sewer pipe by a meter before I positon my access chamber and connect on pipeworks to it. So all i am doing in essence is extending the sewer pipe before install an access chamber.

I do not have to install an access chambe ror manhole, this is somthing I wanted to do to make it easier to clear blockages.

I will see if I can speak to the BCO tomorrow and see what is acceptable. I really do not want to be digging 2m down all the way round the extension to install drainage.

You can not simply take a y off the existing pipe to a new manhole at a higher height because you will then have a section of a couple of metres of pipe which has a massive fall.

To get around this you may have to build a manhole over the existing pipe which you exposeand then make it backdrop manhole as woody says but you need to check with your BC as to the specifics distance wise of what he wants to see.

A manhole/inspection chamber is generally required at all junctions and change of direction/gradients/pipe sizes

The idea is that all of the above increase the chances of a blockage and so access to clear any blockage is required

You may have rodding access from the ends of any new drain sections, but a new m/h is normally required where new extension drains meet the existing one - so a drain run is normally designed economically to include at least one m/h at the new/old connection point and with all new sections running to this

It would be unusual for a BCO to accept a new m/h away from the existing drain with a new section from the m/h to a T in the existing drain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back