Connection to water main.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So....we moved in to our new house in September and managed to go all winter with no heating. Finally got the new boiler installed, Glowworm Ultracom 30 combi. As the main is galvanised, measures 7/8ths with a caliper but i guess its 3/4 plus rust, id like to run a new plastic main to help prolong the life of the boiler and hopefully increase flow and pressure. Question is according to water board website i need to dig down to 750mm and sleave where pipe goes through the wall. Sounds simple enough but my footings are only 500 deep, house built in 1900ish, so these means undermining which im really not keen on. Dont want the house to fall down. Also water board website says i cant make the connection, £1000 fine if i do. Need to get the trench inspected and then if paases they will connect for free but could take 30days. All in all id rather leave the new pipe at same depth as original and make the connection myself, i cant be waiting 30 days. Need it all done and boiler commissioned. A new meter was fitted before we got here so all i need do is remove the plastic compression fitting put a new one on the 3inch length of 25mm blue pipe coming out the meter and hook up my new 25mm main. Am i playing with fire? Can i technically make the connection? I wouldnt actually be connecting to the meter so in theory its the same as me cutting the main at the stop cock and extending the pipe i think.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Had a similar issue, existing pipe was 2 inches underground, I wanted to replace pipe and move mains inlet, water board said needed to go under the house by 2ft and come up through the floor (where I was bringing it in we have 1000mm deep re-enforced concrete raft, quite how I was going to come up through there is beyond me).

You can use this: http://groundbreaker.co.uk/products/insuduct/ (other makes are available) - it meets regs, but the water company will probably throw up a stink (lack of education at service engineer level - I had to get the issue escalated by the manufacturers). You shouldn't make the connection without their approval - but it happens all the time, I've seen ground workers move connections around... that said I'm not sure I'd want it on my conscience.

Or use an approved plumber.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back