Connector for a WC float valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does a standard 1/2" float valve take a standard tap connector?

I'm working in plastic push fit and just bought a JG angled fitting from Toolstation and the spigot in the fitting is too big to go into the 1/2" float valve.

Is the JG push fit a non-standard type?

Will I need to buy a normal angled solder tap fitting but will that fit?

Richard

Sponsored Links
1/2 inch bsp is the thread, sure your tap connector isn't 3/4 for a bath tap. you mentioned " spigot" .the fitting should be push fit to pipe at one end and the other a female 1/2 inch thread complete with a sealing washer .

Last edited:
Hi Terry, there is a spigot on the 1/2" end which holds the rubber sealing washer. This spigot has a diameter which is just too big to go inside the bore of the plastic float valve. It looks like I need a flat faced 1/2" female fitting but it has to swivel.

Richard

is there a filter or flow restrictor inside the valve tail ,preventing the fitting going in ? I do not use plastic tap connectors of any kind ,but I find it hard to believe that jg make tap connectors that are not fit for purpose.

Sponsored Links
There is a flow restrictor in the valve but it's far enough in for the spigot not to hit it. I'm pretty sure that it is 1/2" as the tap connector starts to do up but it's then prevented by the JG spigot.

I'm going to take the float valve into our local Plumbers merchant tomorrow to see if they can sort it.

Richard

easy ,just get a bent tap connector 15mm compression to 1/2 inch bsp. I assume its a side entry valve.

Yes, a side entry valve. I've looked at copper tap fittings and they also have a spigot end. I'm wondering if the wall thickness on the plastic float valve is thicker as the threads are so vulnerable than the a brass fitting

My other thought is, are you expected to fit a flexible hose fitting which does have a flat faced mating surface with a larger rubber sealing washer.

Richard

the " spigot " is to centralise the seal and fitting .I have fitted countless taps / WC valves using compression and soldered and Flexi's never came across the problem you have, but as I said I don't use push fit . maybe you just have a dud ( valve or fitting ). let us know how you get on mate.

Soundsore like the Op has bought a spigot push fit elbow (stem elbow) and is trying to insert the stem up into the valve tail. You need to replace this with either a 1/2" swivel x 15mm elbow, a 1/2" x 15mm straight swivel or a 1/2" x 15mm flexible tap connector.

Assuming you really must use push fit!

Some pics of what you are looking at and the fitting you have will help decide the best course of action.

Jon

Problem solved, had to replace the float valve with a brass ended version. All the tap connectors would not fit into the plastic threaded valve. As I said it appears that they are made to take the 1/2" end of a flexible hose type adapter.

Richard

It was a cheap Chinese part which was supplied as part of a concealed cistern.

If I had had more room at the side of the cistern then I could have use one of those flexible hose adapters.

At least I know that I have a solid brass threaded fitting.

Richard

Problem solved, had to replace the float valve with a brass ended version. All the tap connectors would not fit into the plastic threaded valve. As I said it appears that they are made to take the 1/2" end of a flexible hose type adapter.

Richard

Nothing will fit "into" a threaded float valve.

Glad you're sorted but maybe some pics of your Chinese valve and what you were using would help others as we have helped you (y)

Jon

Photos as requested.

You can see on the 2nd pic how thick the wall of the thread is and this prevents the normal spigoted tap connector to fit in.

Actually the whole fitting doesn't look bad quality.

Richard

P1030498.JPG
P1030497.JPG
P1030496.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back