1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Conservatory beyond hope?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by WabbitPoo, 13 May 2021.

1. WabbitPoo

WabbitPoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our connie is sturdy in its own right, but several of the dg units have failed. I am investigating whether I need to replace the whole thing or not.

Setting aside the fact that its so old the panes are fitted from the outside (who ever thought THAT was a good idea?!?!?) I have the issue that I think the seals around the glass have all but gone south.

The black rubber on the inside is all sticky, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get the old units out without destroying them. (see pic). Are the rubber seals replaceable too?

IMG_20210513_185302.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ronniecabers

ronniecabers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes Double glazed sealed units replaceable, gaskets also replaceable. Can't tell from the picture if its a rubber gasket or a double sided foam gasket.

Most externally glazed upvc frames are more secure than you think, especially if they have wedge gasket on the internal face. I will admit that I have seen some awful Externally glazed windows too , that would be incredibly easy to break in through!

4. WabbitPoo

WabbitPoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. The black stuff is very sticky and feels like rubber that's degraded. Reluctant to take out a unit without being confident it will go back in! i'll look into the seals as a separate item online somewhere.