Conservatory bodge to undo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. A few words of advice would be appreciated after I got round to looking into a few electrical issues in my conservatory today (it was built long before we arrived here BTW).

There are 4 double sockets in our conservatory. 2 worked fine but the other 2 sorry of half worked. I tested the voltage at the ones that didn't work and got 210. Took face plates off and found supply to conservatory is a single 2.5mm cable which terminates in the first socket. From there there was a slightly fried 1.5 which having disconnected it clearly supplied the next 2 sockets in line. The fourth socket turns out to be a spur from kitchen see below.
For now I disconnected the thinner cable and still use the socket that works- anything else I can do?

Worried now i moved on to another problem with a fuse in one of those fused switches in the kitchen which has blown a few times. It is above the dishwasher and I had assumed it supplied the single socket the machine is plugged in to. However the fuse blows when the dryer and or washing machine are on at the same time-through wall in conservatory. Thought better have a look today and sure enough supply goes double socket on 2.5mm ring > spur fused switch thing > dishwasher single socket > double socket with dryer and washing machine.
Most sensible way to fix this dopey arrangement?

Sigh
Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
There are 4 double sockets in our conservatory. 2 worked fine but the other 2 sorry of half worked. I tested the voltage at the ones that didn't work and got 210. Took face plates off and found supply to conservatory is a single 2.5mm cable which terminates in the first socket. From there there was a slightly fried 1.5 which having disconnected it clearly supplied the next 2 sockets in line. The fourth socket turns out to be a spur from kitchen see below.
For now I disconnected the thinner cable and still use the socket that works- anything else I can do?
If you mean the 'frying' is just at the connections then remake these connections back to good wire.
If the whole cable is 'fried' it will have to be replaced. Use 2.5mm².

If these sockets are spurs from another on a ring circuit, a 13A fused connector should be inserted before the first socket.
If they are on a separate circuit from the consumer unit it should be on a 20A MCB or fuse.

Obviously this will limit the usage to 13A or 20A respectively but that is all you can do.

Worried now i moved on to another problem with a fuse in one of those fused switches in the kitchen which has blown a few times. It is above the dishwasher and I had assumed it supplied the single socket the machine is plugged in to. However the fuse blows when the dryer and or washing machine are on at the same time-through wall in conservatory. Thought better have a look today and sure enough supply goes double socket on 2.5mm ring > spur fused switch thing > dishwasher single socket > double socket with dryer and washing machine.
Most sensible way to fix this dopey arrangement?
You will have to wire all the sockets - DW, WM & Drier - so that they are all part of the ring.
That is, remove fused switch 'thingy' and replace with another socket.
Connect one of the ring cables and the 'spur' to the new socket,
Run another cable from the farthest socket (WM & D) back to the second ring cable and connect with connector blocks.

Also, it is not advisable to use a double socket for WM & D (at the same time) so replacing with two single sockets would be desirable.

Thanks for answering.

If you mean the 'frying' is just at the connections then remake these connections back to good wire.
If the whole cable is 'fried' it will have to be replaced. Use 2.5mm².
It was just the end inch or two with associated melting of the socket back. I presumed it hadn't been securely connected- and I also presumed that I fried it using the lawn mower :/

If these sockets are spurs from another on a ring circuit, a 13A fused connector should be inserted before the first socket.
If they are on a separate circuit from the consumer unit it should be on a 20A MCB or fuse.
Yes, I haven't figured out exactly where this supply is from- but it is certainly not a seperate circuit from consumer unit on a 20A or less. IT's a spur I think from a close by socket in kitchen or upstairs in bedroom. There is no sign anywhere in the house of another fused connction unit so I supsected it's 'protected' by a 32A fuse. Sorry I should have mentioned as this was the main reason I was bothered by it. So you suggest to make it a fused spur as the only quick solution IF I understood.

You will have to wire all the sockets - DW, WM & Drier - so that they are all part of the ring.
That is, remove fused switch 'thingy' and replace with another socket.
Connect one of the ring cables and the 'spur' to the new socket,
Run another cable from the farthest socket (WM & D) back to the second ring cable and connect with connector blocks.
I understand what you mean. Access is a little limited anyway and as least now I know what's going on we can avoid overloading it until it gets fixed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back