Conservatory Build - Garden level lower than house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, was wondering if anyone would be able to help me in regards to Building Regs and/or Planning Permission in regards to my proposed conservatory. I've contacted many conservatory companies and they all have very varied opinions. My garden is about 900mm lower than the ground floor of my house, and continues to slope down. If I were to build a conservatory I would like to bring it up level with the ground floor of the house, so that I can walk straight out without any steps... To do this, I would of course need to build a 900mm wall before I even get to the conservatory brick work. My proposal still sits within the 3m max eaves, and 3m projection requirements (terraced house), but the addition of a 900mm wall is where my concern is...

Does anyone know if this has an implications in terms of Permitted Development and/or Building Regulations?

I'm hoping to contact my local council but they are proving very difficult to get hold of.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the addition of the wall. For planning, just measure it all (wall and conservatory) as one extension and apply the same rules. So bottom of wall (where the ground meets your house) to eaves = 3m max.

Thanks LukeB123 for the reply, I can definitely stay within the 3m Max eaves even with the 900m additional wall. Do you know if this has any implications with building regs? Thanks again.

Conservatories are exempt from building regs if you follow the guidelines - mainly keep the external doors between the house and the conservatory, and a few other minor things.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, I appreciate the reply. What stumped me was the requirement which states that the conservatory must be built at 'ground level'. As I was raising it 900mm, I assumed this was no longer 'ground level'. Anyway, I've managed to get hold of Building Control at my local council, whom have confirmed that providing I stick within the 3m height/projection limits, then there is no need to worry about building regs, basically, what LukeB123 said :) Thanks both for your relies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back