Conservatory Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a moved into a property with a Single glazed conservatory which always produces condensation on the window.

Its single Brick and has wooden cladding inside with a laminate floor.

Windows have a light weight blind and the room is glazed 50% of wall surfaces.

Is there anything i can do ? or just invest in Heavy weight Curtains ?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
It is single glazed.

The glass is in contact with the outside air so it is going to be cold.

When warm humid air from the house reaches cold glass, the moisture in the air is going to condense.

You can't stop that happening.

You can ventilate to draw in cool dry air from outside, and you can keep your house less humid if you use extractor fans and avoid leaving damp washing about the house, and avoid using a condensor tubble drier.

But you will not stop condensation on that cold glass.

Thanks for the advice.

The Condensation seems to be affecting the window frames ( wooden ) ie Peeling paint and mould

Is the anyway of treating the window frames to stop this

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you will have to wait until the warmer weather. When the wood is thoroughly dry you can give it a couple of coats of Cuprinol clear preservative, then repaint.

Painting wet wood is not much good.

Everyone has problems with condensation in conservatories in the cold weather. Not surprising when warm, humid air inside the conservatory hits cold glass or conservatory UPVC and condenses as water droplets.

The humidity comes from human beings, or other sources of humidity like gas fires, parafin heaters, or bioethanol fires, all which have water vapour as a by-product.

It seems that the only way forward is to open a window, or buy a de-humidifier. But I have tried a home=made alternative which seems to work quite well.

My idea is to provide an EVEN COLDER surface for the humid air to condense on. What I have done is to use empty 2 litre mineral water bottles, filled with tap water, and frozen solid in the freezer. (When filling with tap water, remember to press the bottle in by about 2 cms to acommodate the expansion of the water as it freezes.) Then place the frozen bottle in a soup plate or other container to catch the condensation drops. Place it out of sight in your conservatory, behind a chair or something, or your guests might think you are somewhat eccentric! But it works, and it's better than having drips from the roof descending on you or your guests! Try it - it works.

Everyone has problems with condensation in conservatories in the cold weather. Not surprising when warm, humid air inside the conservatory hits cold glass or conservatory UPVC and condenses as water droplets.

The humidity comes from human beings, or other sources of humidity like gas fires, parafin heaters, or bioethanol fires, all which have water vapour as a by-product.

It seems that the only way forward is to open a window, or buy a de-humidifier. But I have tried a home=made alternative which seems to work quite well.

My idea is to provide an EVEN COLDER surface for the humid air to condense on. What I have done is to use empty 2 litre mineral water bottles, filled with tap water, and frozen solid in the freezer. (When filling with tap water, remember to press the bottle in by about 2 cms to acommodate the expansion of the water as it freezes.) Then place the frozen bottle in a soup plate or other container to catch the condensation drops. Place it out of sight in your conservatory, behind a chair or something, or your guests might think you are somewhat eccentric! But it works, and it's better than having drips from the roof descending on you or your guests! Try it - it works.

7 years old post????
and incorrect, I have never had condensation in my conservatory, too well ventilated for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back