Is this amount of condensation right for new sash windows?

does this tell you anything about what experts in the glazing industry and government think of dehumidifiers?
It only tells me increased profits for their little circle. Most profits are protected by law in this country. I don't believe this is universal across the world. Some governments are harder to influence by commercial money. Likely, those places have better designed windows.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So clearly you've never been I to a house where no windows get opened.

You have had plenty of people , with great knowledge of windows explain to you that a dehumidifier will not solve the problem.
You have even suggested someone else runs the experiment for you , so tell you what , run the experiment yourself. But remember to keep an eye on energy cost and whether your property is entirely moisture free

But why should someone else go to the expense of your idea??

We all know have to deal with condensation the correct way

Sponsored Links
But why should someone else go to the expense of your idea??

We all know have to deal with condensation the correct way
They shouldn't. I am offering a solution, even you believe will work to a degree. The solution is free to take as people please.

Yes it will help to a degree BUT it's not a solution to the issue
It is a solution that will cost money

Ventilation is free...even in winter if you do it during the day and close doors to the rooms you are ventilating to keep the rest of the house warm....Trust me , I open windows in my house most days and of the doors are kept closed the rest of the house stays perfectly warm

Well its made no noticeable difference to my bills!
I'll agree there will be an energy cost BUT buying and running a dehumidifier 24hrs will no doubt cost more ( yes I have no proof , but if the dehumidifier has to heat up , as per your examples earlier then there is still a heating energy cost)

Anyway we've completely gone off topic from the original question so I'm bowing out of this before admin locks it!

Well its made no noticeable difference to my bills!
I'll agree there will be an energy cost BUT buying and running a dehumidifier 24hrs will no doubt cost more ( yes I have no proof , but if the dehumidifier has to heat up , as per your examples earlier then there is still a heating energy cost)
The small dehumidifiers are rated at 40-50W. Treat it as a 50W heater that also removes moisture. If running a dim 50W bulb equivalent is concerning, then just run it during the warmest time of the room. The warm air carries more water then.

If you vent the moisture laden warm air out, you would have increased gas consumption, assuming you heat with gas. A dehumidifier would make an efficient closed loop where the heat is retained and moisture is removed.
I do heat with gas, and since changing from using a dehumidifier to ventilating the property correctly I have not noticed any increased gas usage. The cost of the gas has gone up of course, but the volume used has not changed beyond the normal fluctuations caused by varying outside temperatures.

I ventilate sensibly to bring room humidity down to reasonable levels, I don't have all the windows open all day. Different rooms require different amounts of ventilation at different times. My dehumidifier was costing over £200/year to run and was not as effective as ventilating the property.

My dehumidifier was costing over £200/year to run and was not as effective as ventilating the property.
The energy you use for venting your house every day would cost a lot more than £200 a year of food to compensate. So, you put in the work and still end up paying more.

A 50w electrical heater will cost 3 times as much as 50w of gas heating. Electricity is approximately 3 times the price of gas, per kWh.
To bring a room from exterior temperature to normal room temperate would probably cost 10x 50w of gas.

What's food got to do with it?

And he's just said it didn't cost so the 50w is actually not important .

I've said it before if you are so convinced about the dehumidifiers..carry on.

Looks like we are all happy ventilating regardless of your opinion. You should have spotted by now, you aren't changing our collective opinion about this so I humbly suggest you stop wasting your time trying ( no offence meant whatsoever)

The energy you use for venting your house every day would cost a lot more than £200 a year of food to compensate. So, you put in the work and still end up paying more.

To bring a room from exterior temperature to normal room temperate would probably cost 10x 50w of gas.
No such thing as 50W of gas.

Do you mean 50Wh? Surely not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back