Conservatory fitting on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

For a while I have been planning to build a conservatory round the back of my semi detached bungalow, but every time I look at the back of the house I wonder how the heck would the conservatory fit. The wall is not straight (there is a bay window), and there are also two "exhausts", one from the boiler and one from the kitchen, which currently exit through that wall.

Will it even be possible to fit as conservatory on this wall? Picture attached.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if flues are moved yes, probably by relocating the boiler. a double hipped roof with a box gutter would fit, bay would have to come down though too

So the Bay has to be removed and the boiler has to be moved? That sounds like a lot of money, isn't there a way the flue can move "upwards" instead, and fit the conservatory around the Bay?

the bay wouldnt cost much really, maybe open through into that room? or fit a basic flat window and knock bwork down. you can move flues because ive had one moved once but its a risky area and im not a plumber. the last one i did they ended up buying a new boiler and having it fitted in the attic out of the way

Sponsored Links
I see, well, wouldn't I need planning permission to take down a bay and stuff?

I hope that you dont mind me making a few remarks - do with them what you will ...

1.If the proposed conservatory comes out beyond the bay it meets the (sliding/patio?) door on the left hand side of the pic.

2. Roughly, how do you see the conservatory footprint? A knock thro from the kitchen, or coming out of the d/room?
At first glance, any arrangement would give roofing and drainage design difficulties.

3. The in place boiler terminal location is not according to Regs. Its also just to the left of an air brick leading to the dining room.

4. Ref. the air bricks at DPC level - the two below the aerial box position dont appear to be doing much.
There appears to be one, and half of one, visible at almost ground level.
Are the kit and/or d/room floors solid?

1. There is a building to the left and it will rest on it, it is flat on that side

2. I would like it to fill the patio space if possible

3. It was done as per regs by an approved gas guy, the air bricks are filled up (they do nothing) and the window next to it is sealed.

4. The floors in kit and din room are laminate, and will be removed and replaced before the conservatory (major indoor reconstruction)

Here is a better view:

I was thinking, if I did it myself, I could make a hatch like this http://www.stovemaestro.co.uk/article4.html for the flue(s) - then get the gas guy to extend it through the hatch.

Further, if I use polycarbonate for the roofing, and use a Lean-To corner design, I could fit a custom frame around the bay (or over, at the roof level with lead flashing) and just cut the sheets to the size.

The rest of it should be standard?

There's not much room for a decent pitch with a lean too there, don't underestimate flues either, they're not like stove chimneys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back