Conservatory flashings!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can some one help me please. I had a conservatory built last year and have had problems with it (had to threaten them with legal action at one point inorder to get the floor levelled correctly) but I have noticed (i know i should have noticed sooner) that they had not sealed the conservatory to the house with lead flashings... they had just sealed it with silicone sealer? i was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is just another way of doing it or is it a botch-up job before i go back to them AGAIN.

kind regards

kathy :cry:

Sponsored Links
Kathy
Can you post some pics?
What style is it and where is it attached to your house?
Generally flashing is used where the cons is attached to the main building ,however there are variations such as double hipped cons that have a box guttering and no flashing.
Pete

that silicone is doing as much as most flashings over conservatories.......I`d like to see just 1 that`s been done properly with a cavity tray :rolleyes: allegedly.....most are just tucked in to outer skin of brick...and you can get away with it if there`s no driving rain on the wall

Sponsored Links
The crucial thing is .... is it leaking?

Unless it is leaking, or if flashings were in the specification/contract, then it could be argued that it is 'fit for purpose'.

The only requirement is that the system used to form the seal between house and conservatory is weathertight and will last an acceptable length of time.

A silicone joint may last 25 years, and yet the twinwall sheets and rubber seals of the rest on the roof only 15 years

Hi there,

I have been building conservatories for 24 years, I have always used lead flashing to seal off conservatory roofs. Silicone sealant will do it for a while, but these buildings do expand and contract with the changes of temperature and this in time can break the seal between the silicone and the framework. My advice to you is try and find someone locally who is able to fit leadwork for you, it shouldnt be too expensive. ( a roll of 9" lead costs around £50, plus the labour cost) Whatever you do, dont use the stick on flashband types of products that are available, they only have a short life and will peel off the wall in time. The company who installed the conservatory should have known better, but unless it was specified in the quote, i dont know if you could force them to come back. If it was actually leaking that would be different, they would have to repair under the warranty.

Amongst several other things I consider essential as good building practice, I insisted on proper lead flashing when I had my cons built 2 years ago but you have to make it clear what you want from the start, get everyone bidding against the same spec. & finally get it written into the contract. It does make the job slightly more expensive but only at the expense of shoddy practices holding prices down artificially. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for & if the company won't give you a detailed specification, cross them off your list. I don't understand why sub standard work is allowed just because it's a conservatory, the sooner they come under BC the better but the conservatory fraternity seems to continually be able to convince the ODPM otherwise!

conservatorydoctor said:
Hi there,

I have been building conservatories for 24 years, I have always used lead flashing to seal off conservatory roofs. . My advice to you is try and find someone locally who is able to fit leadwork for you,
well said .......but BEWARE itinerant roofers ;) they know who they are but I doubt if they know what itinerant means ........I have to call them that due to PC. ;) :LOL: most of them think a (cavity) tray is what posh people bring the tea out to them on :eek:

Here is a thought ..... many modern rainscreen systems (glazed frames) are sealed with silicone and it does its job well, and for a very long time.

And another .... is there any point in using lead (with life of 60-80 years) on a plastic conservatory (with a life of 20-30 years)?

The fact that lead was not used is not an issue.

The abutment of tiles to a wall is completely different to the abutment of an aluminium glazing bar, and just because lead is the most suitable for tiles, does not mean it is the most suitable for a conservatory roof.

I have come across many problems with conservatory roofs leaking at the house abutment , and this was always due to water getting between the lead and the roof sheet. And I have probably seen more conservatory roofs not leaking where an alternative seal to the house wall was used

^woody^ said:
Here is a thought ..... many modern rainscreen systems (glazed frames) are sealed with silicone and it does its job well, and for a very long time.

The fact that lead was not used is not an issue.
good point ....but cavity tray.........or not ......is an issue if the water comes down the inside of the outer skin.....and the point is that companies of all types and size adopt an attitude of "if we can get away with doing/paying less, then good".....under the guise of competitive pricing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back