conservatory floor is it dry? laminate floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a conservatory built and the solid floor has been down since beginning of October and water tight aprox begining of Novemenber. I have recently leveled the floor using resin leveling compound (10mm out concrete floor so quite thick) last week.

I was hoping to have it all dry and laminated by christmas so that the kids toys could go into it and make room for the christmas tree. Ive been told not to put laminate or any kind of floor covering to allow it to dry?

is there nothing i can do i.e seal the floor, use engineered laminate? Wife disapointed as was hoping to use it as our little 2 bed house is running out of floor space and this was seen a good idea.

any suggestion would be welcomed.

Herb

Sponsored Links
Im not expert but recently finished my own conservatory and looking at flooring options.
The important thing is to give the floor plenty of time to dry. This all depends on the thickness of the concrete base.
I have some damp coming through because I used a base that was already in place and I think DPC is damaged.
There are plenty of products on the market that will seal the floor for example g4 which actually reacts with damp to cure.
This would work and certainly get you up and running for Christmas but I would have thought it best to let the floor dry in its own time and then lay engineered wood floor, not standard laminate!! but I guess you know that?

As a basic rule of thumb, concrete will "dry out" @ 20mm, depth / Month, this to get to a position where it would be getting on to be ready to accept a floor finish such as laminate.

Sponsored Links
Irrespctive of the conservatory floor it's really not a good idea to use laminate flooring in a conservatory.
The extremes of both temp and humidity can cause havoc wifi laminate!!
Your better off using engineered wood planks, the construction allows the planks to remain stable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back