new Conservatory floor Laminate???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a conservatory built and the solid floor has been down since beginning of October and water tight aprox begining of Novemenber. I have recently leveled the floor using resin leveling compound (10mm out concrete floor so quite thick) last week.

I was hoping to have it all dry and laminated by christmas so that the kids toys could go into it and make room for the christmas tree. Ive been told not to put laminate or any kind of floor covering to allow it to dry?

is there nothing i can do i.e seal the floor, use engineered laminate? Wife disapointed as was hoping to use it as our little 2 bed house is running out of floor space and this was seen a good idea.

any suggestion would be welcomed.

Herb

Sponsored Links
I did my own conservatory a few years ago. I had a concrete floor with insulation and DPM. I just laid a thin foam underlay for laying the floor onto. Drying the concrete floor isn't such an issue. The leveling compound may need a certain drying time so I'd check that but otherwise I'd lay the floor now. How long does a concrete floor take to dry anyway? I work in the building industry and it's never seemed an issue. Obviously don't lay after there has been puddles laying on it but apart from that its ok.

Hope that's ok, and get that floor down!

General rule is 4 weeks for every 1" of concrete base depth for drying.

That may vary depending on product and local conditions, proper hydrometer damp testing will give you an accurate moisture reading and will give you the info needed to ensure the floor is correctly prepped for screed. When laying floating floors like laminate, it's true that installing pefilm moisture block limits likely issues, but it does not eradicate the possibility of problems and clearly does'nt allow a 'wet' floor to dry effectively.

It's generally accepted that fibreboards or something like TimbermateXL is a far superior underlay product for laminate/engineered floors than the cheap thin roll's of foam.

we just had a few problem jobs using fibreboards in conservatorys

...this was due to the slab not being as dry as it looked

Sponsored Links
laminate is not ideal for a conservatory as the hot and cold damp and dry extremes are excessive :cry: :oops:

laminate is not ideal for a conservatory as the hot and cold damp and dry extremes are excessive :cry: :oops:

errrrr I would say it's a fantastic product so long as it is fitted properly.

Buy good quality like Pergo and Quickstep, it will be very hard wearing, very stable, highly fade and stain resistant, warmer in the winter than tiles etc it's a fantastic product for a conservatory.

Buy cheap, poorly constructed product and it will likely bend/warp and shows signs of wear quickly, but that applies to any area of the home as a comparison between the good stuff and budget product.

Better to err on the side of caution, when temperatures are low the slab will dry more slowly.

Allow at least a month an inch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back