Conservatory insulated roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been searching around after a post (which I can't find), talked about insulating a conservatory roof and then plaster-boarding it.

But isn't it a rule that the roof must be 75% translucent?

Yet if it's all plaster-boarded how can that be?

What's the rule guys?

Sponsored Links
Well I've read that through and I'm still not quite sure. Can I have a roof with a couple of Velux windows and the rest slate, insulated and plasterboarded?

That's assuming it's separated from the house by original door and not connected to the heating system.

Yes Joe there is no minimum or maximum amount of glazing in order to qualify as a conservatory.

The important bit from the other thread being:

OK, after some chitchat back and forth with the three most senior employees of my local BC the situation is apparently now clear (at least today and from my local authority :LOL:).

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with 3.15 it must comply with 4.8, there is no limit on how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Whilst it must comply with the regulations stipulated within 4.8 building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with the above it is not exempt from Building Regulations Approval and to become a lawful development Building Regulations Approval from the LA or an Approved Inspector is required.

Sponsored Links
If I make a concrete floor etc - can I install a wood-burner and put the flue out of the roof? Anyone know? Cheers.

The old exemption for conservatories no longer applies so whether he calls it a conservatory or a porch makes no difference. The current Part L is only concerned with separation from the main house and heating. If it is separated and no heating it does not require building regs. If he knocks it through or wants heating it is an extension and regs apply. So if he wants to call it a conservatory let him do so. It doesn't gain him anything either way.
Or this even more important bit.

If I make a concrete floor etc - can I install a wood-burner and put the flue out of the roof? Anyone know? Cheers.

Yes as long as the installation complies with Building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back