Flat roof and conservatory replacement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to do some work on my house and am having some trouble with the local planning department. I'm hoping someone here can give me some clarification.

I should mention that my house is in a green belt, but not in a conservation area.

The initial house was built in the 30s. A typical two up, two down affair.

In the 50s a two story extension was built on the left hand side of the house. This is the "Sitting Room" and bedrooms 3 and 4 in the plan below.

In the late 60s/early 70s a single story extension, with a flat roof, was built. This is the "Dining Room". Then a UPVC conservatory was added; the "Sun Room".

What I'd like to do is remove the "Sun Room" and extend the "Dining Room" into that space. I'd also like to replace the flat roof with a pitched roof. Currently I'm getting a no from the council, but I haven't yet clarified their objection. So my questions are.

1) Can you see any reason why I can't replace the flat roof with a pitched roof?

2) What are the rules on replacing an existing conservatory, either with an extension, or failing that, a more modern conservatory?

Sorry for such a complicated one as my first post.

Cheers,

Tim.

p.s. Any alternative suggestions are more than welcome.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

There are obviously lots of different reasons why your proposals may or may not be acceptable.

To start off, unless the dwelling is either listed, or is in a designated area such as a conservation area, or area of outstanding natural beauty, etc, then you would follow the same rules for extending the property as you would in a residential area. The fact it is in the green belt, doesn't make any difference.

Also, unless permitted development rights have been removed, it sounds like a good deal of what you want to do fall within PD.

When you say the local authority have said 'no', I'm assuming that is in response to a planning application that you have submitted?

We did initially put a planning application in, which got rejected, which is fair enough. However after subsequent discussions between my architect and the planning officer, my architect has implied that replacing the roof and conservatory are no go even under PD. I've asked him to clarify this, but he's yet to get back to me, but it doesn't seem as if the planning department has a say unless PD has been withdrawn for the area, which I don't believe it has.

As far as I'm concerned, if we can do it under PD, then we should be allowed to do it. I just need someone to confirm this.

We did initially put a planning application in, which got rejected, which is fair enough. However after subsequent discussions between my architect and the planning officer, my architect has implied that replacing the roof and conservatory are no go even under PD. I've asked him to clarify this, but he's yet to get back to me, but it doesn't seem as if the planning department has a say unless PD has been withdrawn for the area, which I don't believe it has.

As far as I'm concerned, if we can do it under PD, then we should be allowed to do it. I just need someone to confirm this.

What reasons did the planners give for the refusal?

Sponsored Links
The reason given was something to do with being in a green belt, but he was a bit vague. I'm guessing he's got his wires crossed.

The reason given was something to do with being in a green belt, but he was a bit vague. I'm guessing he's got his wires crossed.

That's possible, but unlikely.

It's going to be difficult for anybody on here to give you a comprehensive answer without looking specifically at the site. The person to really ask, is your Architect, who will have the background of the case.

It does sound odd though, from the information you have given. It sounds as if there are restrictions on PD, either due to it being in a designated area, or has an article 4.

The original post is pretty confusing to me tbh, I'm not exactly sure what was existing prior to 1948, which is what is relevant for any PD additions. Maybe identifying the outline of the house as per 1948 or before would help ......

The original post is pretty confusing to me tbh, I'm not exactly sure what was existing prior to 1948, which is what is relevant for any PD additions. Maybe identifying the outline of the house as per 1948 or before would help ......

This is the original house.

This is how it is now.

The red bit has a flat roof that we wish to replace with a pitched roof. The green bit is a conservatory that we'd like to replace.

OK, its obvious now, thanks.

You can only add Permitted Development works using the original plan as it is existed before 1948. Therefore building anything bigger than would be allowed by the PD rules will not be allowed. So its pretty clear that your roof extension and replacement conservatory would not be PD. Your architect should know this without having to ask the planners, it's basic stuff, the Muppet!

Can't answer why your planning application was rejected. The planning officer will have written a report which should clarify the reasons, it will be available on your Local Authority's Planning register.

Did your architect not speak with the planners before the decision date? and then discussed that with you if there was an issue? He should have done if he didn't.

OK, its obvious now, thanks.

You can only add Permitted Development works using the original plan as it is existed before 1948. Therefore building anything bigger than would be allowed by the PD rules will not be allowed. So its pretty clear that your roof extension and replacement conservatory would not be PD. Your architect should know this without having to ask the planners, it's basic stuff, the Muppet!

Given that UPVC conservatories don't last for ever, I assume that the only option is to repair it or pull it down then? It has a leaky roof and blown glass.

Can't answer why your planning application was rejected. The planning officer will have written a report which should clarify the reasons, it will be available on your Local Authority's Planning register.

Did your architect not speak with the planners before the decision date? and then discussed that with you if there was an issue? He should have done if he didn't.

The planning application was rejected because the existing extension is already larger than the original house. As we're in a green belt the council decided that further development to that part was unacceptable. I agree that my architect should have picked this up.

We're now going to build off the back of the kitchen and possibly out to the right hand side of the house under PD rules. Just a shame we can't get rid of the nasty flat roof and ageing conservatory.

Thanks for you help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back