Conservatory insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a conservatory built. It is high spec with all the latest glass etc, but they have not insulated the cavity. I have the chance to do this myself by pouring in a loose fill insulation before they put the frames on next week.
Should I do this,and if so what with? Are there any pitfalls to insulating the cavity, it will not be vented.

All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
There's not much point really, glass is thermally 'lossy' and the heat will just go up and out. By all means do if if you want, but stick with cheap stuff.

Is that really true?

If I beleive what I read, the u value of the glass i am using is 1.2 for the roof and 1.1 for the windows. An un insulated brick cavity is 1.0 and an insulated one is 0.6.

so there is not that much difference?

goldiegee said:
Is that really true?

If I beleive what I read, the u value of the glass i am using is 1.2 for the roof and 1.1 for the windows. An un insulated brick cavity is 1.0 and an insulated one is 0.6.

so there is not that much difference?

:eek: I'm not sure I believe what you've read either, thats some mighty impressive glazing if you've got a Uvalue of 1.1, minimum for regs is 2.2 :!: What Deluks is saying is that theres so much glass in a conservatory that it wouldn't make much difference even if the walls were solid insulation. :D Probably worth putting some in though (IMO) just to keep the walls a bit warmer and less prone to damp.

Sponsored Links
It does seem impressive, but that's what they advertise. These specs are supposed to be well controlled though aren't they?

The glass is St Gobain Planitherm

http://uk.saint-gobain-glass.com/b2c/default.asp?nav1=pr&nav2=single pane&id=2090

That's what the spec says.

The roof is the self cleaning version of the same ( though whether that works remains to be seen!)

Do I just pour in some loose fill insulation? There is no vent in the cavity so will there be any condensation problems?

Blimey, you didn't say it was Saint Gobain :eek: A trustworthy manufacturer indeed. Was that expensive? Tbh I know nothing about that kind of insulation its only ever used when upgrading existing walls and I only ever really deal with new build (thank God), some people on here say its ok, others say its rubbish.

Depends what you call expensive?

I went for a turnkey approach from a local reputable supplier whose work I was familiar with.

It is a 7m by 4.2m P shaped one in UPVC VEKA frames with dwarf wall and glass roof. The glass is as stated with self cleaning all round and solar control self cleaning on the roof.
All top lights open, plus a roof opener and 3 window openers, french doors, electrics, fan, underfloor heating, ceramic tiling, plastering walls, cut through from house with new french doors.

This came in at a shade under £20K which was good value against other quotes I had, but I have been in several that they have built and was happy to go with them.

It is currently at dwarf wall height and is going well so far.

does the price sound about right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back