Conservatory wiring - has to have isolator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true you must have isolation ok wiring going into a conservatory?

Parents are just having one installed, I assumed the electrian would extend the ring into it, but instead they have a fcu on a socket, following fcu for lights, then an isolator for the 1kw underfloor heating. Two sockets two wall lights, maybe a 1kw panel heater one day.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Is it true you must have isolation ok wiring going into a conservatory?
No.
Parents are just having one installed, I assumed the electrian would extend the ring into it, but instead they have a fcu on a socket, following fcu for lights, then an isolator for the 1kw underfloor heating. Two sockets two wall lights, maybe a 1kw panel heater one day.
Are you saying that all that is fed via an FCU from a socket on the ring (i.e. as a 'fused spur'). If so, that's theoretically OK (it would allow about 3kW maximum for everything in the conservatory), but that doesn't leave much (about 1kW) for the sockets when the UFH and panel heater are both on.

Kind Regards, John

Could always turn off the UFH. It's not as if it's going to be doing anything useful.

No.
Are you saying that all that is fed via an FCU from a socket on the ring (i.e. as a 'fused spur'). If so, that's theoretically OK (it would allow about 3kW maximum for everything in the conservatory), but that doesn't leave much (about 1kW) for the sockets when the UFH and panel heater are both on.

Kind Regards, John
Yes, whole lot off one fcu. I expect it's fine as they have no real plans to plug more than a light in, but just wondered why he didn't bring the ring into the Conny. It has a full hieght wall on one side, with the sockets and lights on it. Death by fcu!

As for turning the UFH off, why would heating there do less than the panel heater? The whole house is underfloor heating as its sole heating and Incan assure you it would be a lot colder without it!

Daniel

Sponsored Links
just wondered why he didn't bring the ring into the Conny.
I guess having assessed the maximin demand he decided 13a would be enough.
Since it's more effort to split the ring and run a second cable through to the conservatory (plus more risk of causing more work by disturbing existing wiring) he probably wanted to avoid doing that on account of cost and risk.

Yes, whole lot off one fcu. I expect it's fine as they have no real plans to plug more than a light in, but just wondered why he didn't bring the ring into the Conny.
One imagines that, as JohnD has just written, he considered that 13A was enough - although I'm not sure that having to install a second cable would involve significantly greater cost, hassle or 'risk'. Bringing a second fused spur from the house may have been another option (say one for the UFH, panel heater and lights, the other for sockets).

Are you sure that he (or whoever specified the conservatory) did not have a discussion with your parents about the electricity requirements? If it is going to be used literally as a 'conservatory', one would not normally expect much in the way of electrical requirements.

Kind Regards, John

The UFH was obviously known about as he wired for it, and I believe they spoke about a secondary heater, yes. The ring was already exposed as one of the existing sockets had to be moved to knock through.

It's a small conservatory, with dg glass roof etc, so the intention is for it to become part of the room.and be used all round as basically a 6x8ft bay window.

Dad asked why he wasn't bringing the ring in, and he said because it's a conservatory it's needs to have an isolator, so can't be part of a ring.

If there consumer units wasn't the other side of the house it could have had its own ring and or economy 7 only feed off the heating cu.

Heyho. Maybe overthinking it, just looks messy with three connection units in a daisy chain.

Daniel

Agreed, you need at least one isolator, ie your main switch for the whole instillation. Any more than that are just for convenience.

Agreed, you need at least one isolator, ie your main switch for the whole instillation. Any more than that are just for convenience.
Quite so. If a conservatory needed it's own isolator, then why not also a dining room, living room, bedroom or whatever?!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back