conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to put a conservatory on the back of my bungalow.it will be on to the kitchen at the back of property.want to cut down from the current window to create a door but keeping it open planned and not fitting a door.do i need planning permission or just building regs?

Sponsored Links
Go ask at your local planning office, what ever they say get it in writing.

You generally dont need PP for a conservatory providing it meets certain requirements.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315205815.html

A conservatory doesent have to comply with Building Regulations (except glass & electrics) as long as it has an external door fitted between it & the main dwelling; if you dont fit a door or take it down, it won’t be a cons. any longer, it will become an extension & require BR approval. Because of the methods of construction & insulation used on cons., they have thermal insulation characteristics only marginally more efficient that a shed; it is impossible for them to comply with BR’s & you really need either an extension or a garden room (effectively an extension).

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315206234.html
Fit a cons without a door & it will be regarded as unauthorised building works when you come to sell & you will probably have problems as several people who have posted on here have found to their dismay.

What many folks do is fit external doors initially to comply with BR’s & then take them off & store them until they move; you can then re-fit them to avoid any problems. You will find it rather expensive to heat in winter though.

Go ask at your local planning office, what ever they say get it in writing.
And written at the end will be a disclaimer saying 'it should be recognised that comments and advice at this stage will be given by the council employees on an informal basis only, and will not prejudice any subsequent decision by the Council on determination of any formal application'! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Don't expect to get anything in writing from the council.

When we put ours up 3 years ago planning told me the only way they could give me confirmation of the position in writing was if I put in a planning application (with fee).

On my calculations our conservatory will cost as much to heat as the rest of the (5 bedroom) house, I would have needed a boiler twice the size of the one I have! Result - we don't use it much in winter. Think about it . . . . .

On my calculations our conservatory will cost as much to heat as the rest of the (5 bedroom) house, I would have needed a boiler twice the size of the one I have! Result - we don't use it much in winter. Think about it . . . . .
Tis very true. I did everything possible to increase the thermal efficiency of our largish cons now 4 1/2 years old, also off our kitchen; cavity walls, Argon filled K glass, floor insulation & a 40mm poly roof (unusual then). We also have a 4 Kw under floor heating system which works well & is very capable of keeping it warm but costs a fortune in winter as you loose so much heat through the roof & all that glass. We have just closed ours down for the winter & the cat will be the only one using it until next April, except on Nov 5th & the odd warm sunny day. If you want an annex to your kitchen or use it daily in winter, build a garden room instead but that will cost you just as much as an extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back